Test Ride

Thread: Test Ride

Test Ride

Got the chance to test ride two bikes today at a local used bike dealer. They have a huge inventory of low mileage, clean bikes. Mostly big touring bikes and lots of HDs.

The first was a MX21 Moto Guzzi. I have been researching them and thought it might be a replacement for my 6. Didn't ride it far and knew it was not for me. Very heavy coming off the kickstand. Lots of vibration in low RPMs and was not a fan of the 21 inch tire up front. Very good looking bike but after years on a full Wing and the 6 I could not see myself riding the MX21 very often.

They also had a used 18 Wing, 4K I think on the clock. Very nice ride. I wasn't sure I would like the reduced size but I did. Handled great and felt great flicking it back and forth. Same smooth power as the six with what seemed to be a smoother trans. Shifting was very easy with less klunk than my six.

Ridding the two different styles of bikes in the same afternoon made me realize why I like the Wings so much. Guess I won't be looking at the MX21 anymore. Now I have to decide if I go for a new Wing or Rebuild the front end on my 6 and keep on riding it. It really is a fantastic bike and I am very happy with it.

image.jpeg

I sat on a Moto Guzzi last year and yes it was very heavy off the side stand, not for me.
    The trouble with having a 1800cc 6 cylinder is we are very spoiled. It's a hard bike to replace.

No doubt the wings are tough to beat and the f6b one of most underrated motorcycles ever.Outside of new tech no wonder Honda really didn't need to update much.

I've not ridden the new GW but have not been happy with just sitting on them in the showroom. I agree when you say "reduced size," if you mean the rider positioning and the shelter/cowl. At 6'3" I find the F6B okay but the new bikes feel much smaller.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    I've not ridden the new GW but have not been happy with just sitting on them in the showroom. I agree when you say "reduced size," if you mean the rider positioning and the shelter/cowl. At 6'3" I find the F6B okay but the new bikes feel much smaller.
    I can see that. I am 6' even and a little under 200 lbs. The new one fits me just right. I would not want to be much bigger. It reminded me of my 2009 C-14. The rider position on the Wing is less aggressive than the C-14 but the feel of the bike was similar.

I like it. Just not sure it is worth the price when I have a great bike that doesn't cost much to operate and it is paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by valkmc View Post
    I can see that. I am 6' even and a little under 200 lbs. The new one fits me just right. I would not want to be much bigger. It reminded me of my 2009 C-14. The rider position on the Wing is less aggressive than the C-14 but the feel of the bike was similar.

I like it. Just not sure it is worth the price when I have a great bike that doesn't cost much to operate and it is paid for.

Xactly.....I am liking the 2020 black color so I contacted one of the larger dealers for a trade in on my 13 Deluxe w/ 58k. What it came down to was my bike + $10k would get me OTD with an 18 or 19 Non Tour DCT. (He didnt have the 20 model yet). In my mind then, they are giving me @ $7500 for my bike. Its worth a hell of lot more to me, so I am planning on keeping it. Just replaced battery ( it hadnt failed but its 6+ years old and I have some rides set up this year) and replaced the air filter. Have had zero issues with this great bike. Only time it was at dealers was for brake recall.

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    [/COLOR]

Xactly.....I am liking the 2020 black color so I contacted one of the larger dealers for a trade in on my 13 Deluxe w/ 58k. What it came down to was my bike + $10k would get me OTD with an 18 or 19 Non Tour DCT. (He didnt have the 20 model yet). In my mind then, they are giving me @ $7500 for my bike. Its worth a hell of lot more to me, so I am planning on keeping it. Just replaced battery ( it hadnt failed but its 6+ years old and I have some rides set up this year) and replaced the air filter. Have had zero issues with this great bike. Only time it was at dealers was for brake recall.

I was looking up at Russelville for some of the colors up there for their Tours. I liked that green one. I worry about the trade in and undercutting of it, but then again, they are not moving, so they buy/sell for not a lot. Great bikes though. Fantastic, steady and fun!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B