Rear LED setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear LED setup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rear LED setup

Again, very new to the bike and the community - but I've done considerable research, and can't seem to find an answer.

It looks like the default setup for rear lights is center red running\brake light - with two amber turn lights on each side (yes, stating the obvious here....)

In my mind, the best light setup would be full bar (all 3 rear lights) of running lights \ brake lights \ with amber turning lights. That is to say, all three lights are set to red running, all three lights brighten up on braking, and the two outside turn signals can swap to amber on a turn.

Is this even possible? Seems like you'd need a single LED bulb that could do red running \ red brake \ amber turn..... I haven't been able to find that. Again, pleading a bit of ignorance here. Looks like you only get two way bulbs, not three.

I'm tracking the Vicki P setup, but her outside lights (the turn signal lights) don't intensify on braking.... She only has the center brake light.

While amber turn signals are best - I think red running\braking across the full back is most important. Red flashing turn signal is a bit of a drawback, but... I think, for me, this is the way I'll go (unless I can find the ideal setup as described above).....

Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/GbTvn3vZ2I8

-SapperWing

I believe there a few ways to do this. If you check the history there are a bunch of threads covering it. For me, I did the mod where I added new sockets/bulbs to each side of the rear light. Changed all bulbs to LED with the exception of the turn signal bulbs which are used as a ground in the Honda wiring circuitry. That gave me the full running lights. Then I added a Whelen TIR3 strobe wired into the brake light wiring, mounted it in place of the reflector and moved the reflector down towards the bottom of the fender. Thats been working great for over a year now without issue and folks riding behind me remark how much better they can see me.

Quote Originally Posted by SapperWing View Post
    Again, very new to the bike and the community - but I've done considerable research, and can't seem to find an answer.

It looks like the default setup for rear lights is center red running\brake light - with two amber turn lights on each side (yes, stating the obvious here....)

In my mind, the best light setup would be full bar (all 3 rear lights) of running lights \ brake lights \ with amber turning lights. That is to say, all three lights are set to red running, all three lights brighten up on braking, and the two outside turn signals can swap to amber on a turn.

Is this even possible? Seems like you'd need a single LED bulb that could do red running \ red brake \ amber turn..... I haven't been able to find that. Again, pleading a bit of ignorance here. Looks like you only get two way bulbs, not three.

I'm tracking the Vicki P setup, but her outside lights (the turn signal lights) don't intensify on braking.... She only has the center brake light.

While amber turn signals are best - I think red running\braking across the full back is most important. Red flashing turn signal is a bit of a drawback, but... I think, for me, this is the way I'll go (unless I can find the ideal setup as described above).....

Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/GbTvn3vZ2I8

-SapperWing
    I have the alternate setup plus the Whelen TIR3 that I did 3 years back. I like the idea of full width brake lights. Also would like the rear lights to be brighter in full sunlight.
    Got ass ended by a car back in April while sitting at a stoplight in broad daylight even with my brakes on and the Whelen flashing.
    Sounds like a three way bulb would be required? Let us know if you find out anything.

Quote Originally Posted by billsim View Post
    I have the alternate setup plus the Whelen TIR3 that I did 3 years back. I like the idea of full width brake lights. Also would like the rear lights to be brighter in full sunlight.
    Got ass ended by a car back in April while sitting at a stoplight in broad daylight even with my brakes on and the Whelen flashing.
    Sounds like a three way bulb would be required? Let us know if you find out anything.
    Distracted driver's (texting, eating, etc.) run into Police cars with all their lights flashing...

So true. People tend to steer toward where they are looking without even realizing it.

This might be what you are asking for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhumqeAgYSY I did it and it is much more light. It does present a problem as you add more running light the difference between run and stop is reduced. Additionally the turns get washed out a bit. So I added another red strip and another shorter yellow so that they are all alone and easy to see. Of course now the back of my bike looks like a Christmas tree all lite up.

Run IMG_5996.jpg
    brake IMG_5997.jpg
    run with turn IMG_6002.jpg
    brake with turn IMG_6001.jpg

I followed the Vicki P method as well along with the center wigwag. I do however agree that while the outboard lights do intensify, the level needs to be more significant. I have had them in for several years and will likely look at swapping out different bulbs to see if I can achieve better results.

Kury sells a system diodes that will allow you to use bothrun and brake from a single light.
    Two in one out.

I bought a setup off ebay. plug and play. outers stay lighted{yellow}. once you hit the brake the whole bar lights red