Rear LED setup - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear LED setup

Quote Originally Posted by Nomibagger View Post
    I bought a setup off ebay. plug and play. outers stay lighted{yellow}. once you hit the brake the whole bar lights red
    Can you share details about what you bought?

Attempt #1

So, first a disclaimer - I don't really know what I'm doing, and can't vouch for the parts I've purchased - no idea if it will work, but seems to make sense to me. I'll try and see if it works this weekend (18JAN).

I've tried to attach a basic wiring \ conceptual diagram of what I'm thinking.

Essentially, I have an amber\red bright bulb. Supposedly, both colors are exceptionally bright (per the ST1300 forum post that I found).

The problem with LED bulbs, is, #1) Apparently, there is a high intensity\low intensity concept to these bulbs. Finding a bright red AND bright amber has been difficult. Again, we'll see what happens when it gets here. #2) Finding a quality 7443 LED socket - is a shot in the dark. I did the best I could on the socket, but it's likely 50/50 on the quality.

I want a running light, a brake light, and an amber turn signal out of one bulb. Again - as far as I know, this doesn't exist (Just finding red \ amber was hard enough). The amber portion is wired directly to the turn signal wires - that's fixed. That leaves a single wire into the LED bulb for the running and brake light(s). Apparently if you throw a resistor into line, it lowers the intensity of the LED power. AKA - running light. You can make this yourself, or several folks make them (DAGS - dual intensity circuit for LED).

So in normal operation, the tail light circuit goes through the resistor side of the line for lower intensity. When you hit the brake, the brake wire goes hot and pumps electrons through the non-resistor side for full intensity.

Assuming this all works - there's still two things I'll have to figure out. Can I use one of the dual intensity jumpers for both outside rear lights or do I need two? Secondly, I'll have to throw in that LED fast blinker thingie somewhere.... Not sure where that'd go.

Stuff should be here by Wed\Thurs.... I'll let you know. Wish me luck.

Tail Light Design.jpg

Edit: For what it's worth, I would have just bought a whole kit \ solution, but I couldn't find one. Or even find an example of some Joe doing it this way. This stuff doesn't really excite me, I just wanna ride. But having a full bar running light + full bar brake lights + Amber turn signals is pretty important to me.

I also ordered the SoCalMotoGear rear middle running\brake light LED replacements............. and front foglight setup............. and front turn signal switchbacks. Yea - I'm $500 in right now.

Oh, and the PC-8 from Japan.

Oh - and sent Russell Day Long $80 to reserve 23MAR for me. (CO-CA in MAR?) But, that's a different story....
    Last edited by SapperWing; 01-13-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks for the details. This makes my head hurt.
    Like you, I just want to buy an existing solution install it and ride.
    Thanks!

OK, Here's my two cents on lights getting other peoples attention...Sure a brighter light will get more attention than a dim light but I think "flashing" gets the MOST attention.

I took the US Navy, 1 week long, motorcycle safety course back in the mid-80's. It was given by a retired CHIPs officer with lots of experience. He told us about about a company that tested an early Headlight Modulator/Flasher device. They settled on 4 flashes per second by testing in a hospital. They figured hospital rooms, to give patients and family more privacy, are a place that people try not to look in when walking by. So they set a light in a private room so it faced out the door, then changed the rate of flashes per second over several days. The rate that caused the highest number of people walking by to stop, turn around, and look again was about 4 per second.

The rear of the F6B has more lit "area" than most motorcycles in history. Hell, most bikes have ONE little center brake/running light bulb with a dull crappy cover. I just don't think MORE solid BRIGHT light will get someone's attention any better so I'M betting on flashing. I just added one of the emergency vehicle 4 LED flashers to a license plate extender and set it to the closest thing to...4 flashes per second then solid. When I need to I simply grab and release the brake to allow the flasher to do it's thing over and over.

Briefly, I mounting a Swift 3.0 TIR 3 Watt 4 LED unit (EBay, $20) to a homemade metal plate added behind the license, I drilled a hole on the rear just below the the license plate bracket and pushed the wires through a grommet to the inside. From there I wired the appropriate wires to the brake wire connectors on the harness of a Kuryakyn Rear Accessory Adapter (3234, $30).
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

SeaSteve,

Firstly, "Haze Gray and Underway...."

Secondly, I absolutely agree regarding flashing stop lights. I've always been in the habit of doing it manually (few squeezes of the brake).

When I get the full back end running \ brake setup, I full intend on splicing a flashing circuit into the mix.

Regards,

MM2 (Nuke) SapperWing
    (A few lifetimes ago....)

It works!!

Wired/taped up the prototype, and it works brilliantly!

One bulb, red running light, bright brake light, and bright amber turn flashers.

I'll break out the solder kit, get the harness done tonight and maybe get a video on YouTube...

Edit: So, I've got it built, but the running lights are a bit dim, and flicker a bit. It's usable, but I'm going to put a 75 ohm resistor in. That will replace the 150 ohm that's in now. I'm hoping with. A weaker resistor, I'll get a bit brighter running light (to match the socal rear bulbs I put in) and eliminate the flicker while on the low power line.....

Dunno. We'll see....
    Last edited by SapperWing; 01-16-2020 at 11:17 PM.

So - just a real quick video.
    Shows a few things -
    #1 - The outside lights now have running light capability.
    #2 - The outside lights have "switchback" turn capability.
    #3 - The outside lights have brake light capability (while maintaining the turn signal).

#4 - The outside lights have a bit of flicker while used as running lights. (They also weren't fully seated in the housing. The fit of the socket is a bit loose....)
    #5 - I'll have to install an LED flasher relay (that came with my SoCal foglight \ turn signal setup that I'm doing tomorrow

I'm hoping the 75 ohm resistor brightens up the outside light and gives enough power in the running light mode in order to minimize \ eliminate flashing.

#6 - I'm no video expert...

Kury sells the same setup, but that is the way to do it
    That is the only way to use one ckt to do 2 things.

I used a module from SignalDynamics called Tri-Star XP that works really well. Installed it last year and so far so good. Installation wasn't too difficult just being mindful of good connections....soldered mine and covered with shrink tubing connectors. The only downside is that for the hazard lights when the switch is in ACC mode. Only the front turn signals with flash. When the key is in the ON position, all is well because the module receives it power from the tail light power wire.