Rear LED setup

Thread: Rear LED setup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Attempt #1

So, first a disclaimer - I don't really know what I'm doing, and can't vouch for the parts I've purchased - no idea if it will work, but seems to make sense to me. I'll try and see if it works this weekend (18JAN).

I've tried to attach a basic wiring \ conceptual diagram of what I'm thinking.

Essentially, I have an amber\red bright bulb. Supposedly, both colors are exceptionally bright (per the ST1300 forum post that I found).

The problem with LED bulbs, is, #1) Apparently, there is a high intensity\low intensity concept to these bulbs. Finding a bright red AND bright amber has been difficult. Again, we'll see what happens when it gets here. #2) Finding a quality 7443 LED socket - is a shot in the dark. I did the best I could on the socket, but it's likely 50/50 on the quality.

I want a running light, a brake light, and an amber turn signal out of one bulb. Again - as far as I know, this doesn't exist (Just finding red \ amber was hard enough). The amber portion is wired directly to the turn signal wires - that's fixed. That leaves a single wire into the LED bulb for the running and brake light(s). Apparently if you throw a resistor into line, it lowers the intensity of the LED power. AKA - running light. You can make this yourself, or several folks make them (DAGS - dual intensity circuit for LED).

So in normal operation, the tail light circuit goes through the resistor side of the line for lower intensity. When you hit the brake, the brake wire goes hot and pumps electrons through the non-resistor side for full intensity.

Assuming this all works - there's still two things I'll have to figure out. Can I use one of the dual intensity jumpers for both outside rear lights or do I need two? Secondly, I'll have to throw in that LED fast blinker thingie somewhere.... Not sure where that'd go.

Stuff should be here by Wed\Thurs.... I'll let you know. Wish me luck.

Tail Light Design.jpg

Edit: For what it's worth, I would have just bought a whole kit \ solution, but I couldn't find one. Or even find an example of some Joe doing it this way. This stuff doesn't really excite me, I just wanna ride. But having a full bar running light + full bar brake lights + Amber turn signals is pretty important to me.

I also ordered the SoCalMotoGear rear middle running\brake light LED replacements............. and front foglight setup............. and front turn signal switchbacks. Yea - I'm $500 in right now.

Oh, and the PC-8 from Japan.

Oh - and sent Russell Day Long $80 to reserve 23MAR for me. (CO-CA in MAR?) But, that's a different story....
    Last edited by SapperWing; 01-13-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks for the details. This makes my head hurt.
    Like you, I just want to buy an existing solution install it and ride.
    Thanks!