Rear LED setup

Thread: Rear LED setup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OK, Here's my two cents on lights getting other peoples attention...Sure a brighter light will get more attention than a dim light but I think "flashing" gets the MOST attention.

I took the US Navy, 1 week long, motorcycle safety course back in the mid-80's. It was given by a retired CHIPs officer with lots of experience. He told us about about a company that tested an early Headlight Modulator/Flasher device. They settled on 4 flashes per second by testing in a hospital. They figured hospital rooms, to give patients and family more privacy, are a place that people try not to look in when walking by. So they set a light in a private room so it faced out the door, then changed the rate of flashes per second over several days. The rate that caused the highest number of people walking by to stop, turn around, and look again was about 4 per second.

The rear of the F6B has more lit "area" than most motorcycles in history. Hell, most bikes have ONE little center brake/running light bulb with a dull crappy cover. I just don't think MORE solid BRIGHT light will get someone's attention any better so I'M betting on flashing. I just added one of the emergency vehicle 4 LED flashers to a license plate extender and set it to the closest thing to...4 flashes per second then solid. When I need to I simply grab and release the brake to allow the flasher to do it's thing over and over.

Briefly, I mounting a Swift 3.0 TIR 3 Watt 4 LED unit (EBay, $20) to a homemade metal plate added behind the license, I drilled a hole on the rear just below the the license plate bracket and pushed the wires through a grommet to the inside. From there I wired the appropriate wires to the brake wire connectors on the harness of a Kuryakyn Rear Accessory Adapter (3234, $30).
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

SeaSteve,

Firstly, "Haze Gray and Underway...."

Secondly, I absolutely agree regarding flashing stop lights. I've always been in the habit of doing it manually (few squeezes of the brake).

When I get the full back end running \ brake setup, I full intend on splicing a flashing circuit into the mix.

Regards,

MM2 (Nuke) SapperWing
    (A few lifetimes ago....)