^Top of the World Highway a F6B...Good Idea?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ^Top of the World Highway a F6B...Good Idea?

^Top of the World Highway a F6B...Good Idea?

Thinking about doing the Top of the World in BC to Alaska this summer on my F6B. As everybody knows, the F6B loves the open road, if it is paved.

Anyone do the Top of the World on the F6B?

Not really looking to put knobbies on this machine but from what i heard, there is a lot of "off road" riding on this hard pack highway.

The short stretch going over the Beartooth Pass last summer with gravel and water downed ruts was enough, and that was only for about 4 miles!

Just looking for input from someone that did this run before I head North this summer.

If that little bit of gravel on Bear Tooth gave you concern you better forget Alaska. I'm sure the bike can handle it as someone did it already, maybe try something else shorter first. I did Moki Dugway without trouble a while back, both up and back down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiC3UYkUKH8&t=14s

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    If that little bit of gravel on Bear Tooth gave you concern you better forget Alaska. I'm sure the bike can handle it as someone did it already, maybe try something else shorter first. I did Moki Dugway without trouble a while back, both up and back down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiC3UYkUKH8&t=14s
    Was there much of the deep, soft gravel which wants to make your front tire sink in and push sideways if you know what I mean? Can't really tell from the video.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

No it was firm, lots of gravel and ruff as heck and those sheer drop-offs on the sides with no rails made you pay attention.

Well, the photos are outstanding and Alaska looks like once in a lifetime ride! That said, at 78 with a lot of seat miles, I think the F6B and I will stick to the paved roads. The second and third time over the Bear Tooth Pass with the gravel top went faster standing on the pegs and gassing it through the slippery stuff but the idea of doing days of pegging it and letting the bike dance under me just does not sound as much fun as doing a 100 MPH on some of those lonely roads through Kansas, Montana, Nevada and Utah.

I really enjoyed the laid back ride from Ohio to California and back last year.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I think I will change my plans and do Sturgis and on up through North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and back. I am sure they offer some great riding without going off road.

Go to Wikipedia/ top of the world web site......might change your mind for trip

Quote Originally Posted by oldxtreme View Post
    Well, the photos are outstanding and Alaska looks like once in a lifetime ride! That said, at 78 with a lot of seat miles, I think the F6B and I will stick to the paved roads. The second and third time over the Bear Tooth Pass with the gravel top went faster standing on the pegs and gassing it through the slippery stuff but the idea of doing days of pegging it and letting the bike dance under me just does not sound as much fun as doing a 100 MPH on some of those lonely roads through Kansas, Montana, Nevada and Utah.

I really enjoyed the laid back ride from Ohio to California and back last year.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I think I will change my plans and do Sturgis and on up through North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and back. I am sure they offer some great riding without going off road.
    I rode from Central Fl. to Alaska a few years ago. 12k miles. The Alaskan Highway was amazing. P6280182.jpg

Only gravel in one spot P6290196.jpg However this happened a couple of times when they repair the road there is no way around. Met some nice people during the stops!! I stayed away from the trip to the article circle, it had been raining prior to me making it there and the Dalton Hwy was a mess.

P6300211.jpg P6300215.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, Valkmc, you get around!

Do you have an outstanding warrant in Idaho?

How long did it take you to get to 48 of the 50 states?

Lol, no warrant. I am a school teacher and have 10 weeks off every summer. The Alaska trip was 6 weeks, 5 weeks of riding and 1 week in Las Vegas. On one trip I planned on visiting Idaho but my C-14 let me down and I got stuck, again in Las Vegas. I got my first bike in 1975-17 years old. Not sure what my parents were thinking but I survived. I have had a bike of one kind or another every since. I'm now 62 and about to retire so look out Idaho here I come!! Riding is my sanity, kept doing it through two marriages and three outstanding boys. One who rides with me sometimes. I have spent 30 years, most days with 140-170 teenagers. Really needed those long quiet rides.