Extended warranties
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended warranties

Extended warranties

Worth it? I’m not even sure how long the factory warranty is/was but can’t really see any big ticket items going wrong. Honda’s offering 60 months for 1190.00. Not really an extended warranty fan as it seems the things that crap out on you are never covered.

Is it worth it? Only you can decide. Must be purchased before the original 3-year warranty expires. I'm generally not a fan of such extended warranties, but I just got the one for my F6B. The original warranty expires in March. I'm getting older and if I decide to sell the bike in the future, the warranty might be a good selling point.

As for getting it, I did lots of research and found the following to be the best (and is where I purchased mine). Simple. Just have your VIN number when you call. He looks your bike up and confirms info, and enters the warranty into the Honda database. Took about five minutes.

Max's Cycle
    Abilene, TX
    325-673-4636
    Talk to Al Miller
    Cost: $585 for the 60 month (60 months beyond the end of your original warranty).
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

it is worth the extra funds. My 2013 don't get me wrong is the best bike I have ever ridden, and I've ridden many. Mother honda during my warranty took care of a bad amp, big bucks and the replacement of fork seals for free. only with the warranty. LOL
    f6bglowing.jpg

I bought it for my F6B but the warranty was a lot cheaper, it went up when the new model Goldwing's came out.
    Mine came with a 4 year warranty so I bought 3 more years for $3.99
    When I bought my 1800 Valkyrie it was about double so I passed on it.

Over the years I've bought extended warranties for 3 of my motorcycles, and a '99 Valkyrie I bought used had a few years remaining. On those 4 bikes I only used the extended warranty one time, even though one of the bikes, my '98 Valkyrie, ran over 100,000 miles before the warranty expired. And, the single warranty claim was to replace a leaky radiator cap. So I'd say they weren't a very good investment for me.

I've bought them for 2 cars and a truck as well. I've used them a few times, but not once did the cost of repairs exceed the cost of the warranty. The main reason I buy them is that when I have the warranty I get any problem fixed right away, rather than putting it off thinking I'll get around to doing it myself.

Whatever you do, shop around! The dealer markup on extended warranties is huge, like 100%. That price from Max's Cycle looks great, and is tempting me to get one.

FYI if anyone is considering one for a Ford, there's a dealer in Minnesota that sells the factory 'ESP' warranties for their cost plus $100 for processing. I ended up paying about half of what my dealer wanted to charge.
    Last edited by F6Dave; 01-24-2020 at 10:37 AM.

I agree the cost does seem a bit high. It was not the expensive when I originally purchased my 2013 F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    Is it worth it? Only you can decide. Must be purchased before the original 3-year warranty expires. I'm generally not a fan of such extended warranties, but I just got the one for my F6B. The original warranty expires in March. I'm getting older and if I decide to sell the bike in the future, the warranty might be a good selling point.

As for getting it, I did lots of research and found the following to be the best (and is where I purchased mine). Simple. Just have your VIN number when you call. He looks your bike up and confirms info, and enters the warranty into the Honda database. Took about five minutes.

Max's Cycle
    Abilene, TX
    325-673-4636
    Talk to Al Miller
    Cost: $585 for the 60 month (60 months beyond the end of your original warranty).
    Thanks for the info as that’s not a bad deal. I piss away 10 bucks every month in way worse ways.

IMO, It's totally a gamble. It's worth it if you need it but a waste if you don't.

I've had one extended warranty in 30 years. It was on the first NEW vehicle I'd ever bought, a 1990 Chevy Beretta GT. It paid off when it need a new clutch.

I'm considering it for the F6B.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

One thing to keep in mind is that extended warranties are insurance, and manufacturers sell them to make money. They will price them high enough to make a nice profit after paying all the claims. And most dealers make a lot of money on top of that, which is why they push them so hard. So the odds are that you won't come out ahead. I certainly have not!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    IMO, It's totally a gamble. It's worth it if you need it but a waste if you don't.

I've had one extended warranty in 30 years. It was on the first NEW vehicle I'd ever bought, a 1990 Chevy Beretta GT. It paid off when it need a new clutch.

I'm considering it for the F6B.
    Same here, especially for $585.

I had one on my '05 Corvette, and it was the deciding factor for the buyer when I sold the car.