Arizona Riding

Thread: Arizona Riding

Arizona Riding

So last year I had some questions about riding out of Phoenix and got some great advice and I am here to ask again. last year was a ride in January. This year I will be out there towards the end of March.

My initial thoughts are Phoenix to Page/Lake Powell for Day 1, Lake Powell to Grad Canyon to Flagstaff day 2 and the Flagstaff to Prescott and back to Phoenix day 3.

My Biggest Concern is Flagstaff weather March 19th? Should I be worried about Snow?

Last years Riding was great south of Phoenix up to Globe, etc. The Dessert gets a bit chilly after dark

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRider View Post
    So last year I had some questions about riding out of Phoenix and got some great advice and I am here to ask again. last year was a ride in January. This year I will be out there towards the end of March.

My initial thoughts are Phoenix to Page/Lake Powell for Day 1, Lake Powell to Grad Canyon to Flagstaff day 2 and the Flagstaff to Prescott and back to Phoenix day 3.

My Biggest Concern is Flagstaff weather March 19th? Should I be worried about Snow?

Last years Riding was great south of Phoenix up to Globe, etc. The Dessert gets a bit chilly after dark
    AZ Wingrider is your man!!!

Worried? No but it can definitely happen. I live in Northern CO and got caught twice in Durango and Flagstaff on my way to Laughlin NV last May. It was wet and wasn’t sticking so I drove through both. Be prepared to get delayed due to weather once you get up into the higher elevations.

Hello CarolinaRider,

Your itinerary is entirely possible but March definitely will require you to be conscious of the weather. The Grand Canyon South Rim and Flagstaff are approximately the same elevation at 7,000 ft and close enough together that they will almost always have the same weather. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon does not open until May 15th so that is not a possibility in March. If you are going to be in Page Antelope Canyon is a very popular place to visit. It is very busy even March and I would reserve at least a few days in advance.

The ride from Flagstaff to Phoenix via Sedona and Prescott is an great motorcycle ride. You will be traveling on Arizona Highways 89A and 89 and your highest elevation will be in Flagstaff. So if the weather in Flagstaff is good you should be good all the way to Phoenix. The mileage on this route is about 230 miles but there is a lot to see and a lot of curvy roads so you can easily spend an entire day making this ride. Sedona of course is a well known resort area and the views of the red rocks from the airport is very good. The old mining town of Jerome and Whiskey Row in Prescott are great places to take a break and look around. I rode this route northbound as far as Sedona last week so March is generally not going to be a problem.

Have a great time and if I can be helpful in any way let me know.
    Az Wingrider

+1 on Jerome (especially the "back way" to the top of the mountain with LOTS of curves) -- parking can be dicey in that small hillside town -- and DT Prescott (Whiskey Row) is cool with lots of history and some great eating establishments.

One ride I really like out of Phoenix is to head north on 17 and then onto Wickenburg (various routes to get there). Then, take 93 out of Wickenburg and find your way to the small town of Bagdad (using 97 and 96). 97 is a real roller coaster and is prone to swams of crotch rocket riders... so use caution. Then, from Baddad, you can take 96 down to 15 (junction of 96 and 15 -- turn left to 15) and take the back way into Prescott via 10 (through Skull Valley and Iron Springs Road > Whipple > Montezuma St). Depending on time of year, you could encounter patch snow on the side of the road at higher elevations. If it's cold.. there is a Starbucks off of Montezuma before you get to Sheldon St.

Another great ride is heading NE out of Phoenix to Payson or to Roosevelt Lake areas. If you go straight out to Roosevelt Lake, I'd suggest taking 88 (towards Tortilla Flats). Once there, you could head north on 188 to connect with 87 which will take you to Payson. You can do any number of variations on these routes and have a great time.

Enjoy!!

Hello Erweck

Arizona Highway 88 (the Apache Trail) is indeed a great ride from US-60 north. HOWEVER, four miles past Tortilla Flats it turns to gravel for the last 20 miles to Roosevelt Dam where it intersects with AZ-188. That last 20 miles has very tight switchbacks and a 12% downgrade where it descends off of Fish Hill. All of this is mute point at this time because AZ-88 is closed at Tortilla Flats because the road washed out in September. The date for it to reopen hasn't been released.

The ride from US-60 to Tortilla Flats is very popular ride. It is newly repaved, goes past Canyon Lake, has a lot of tight switchbacks, two one lane bridges and some of the best scenery in central Arizona. There is also a very popular restaurant at Tortilla Flats. Tortilla Flats is Arizona's smallest community with a post office. Population 6.

Good luck on your ride
    Az Wingrider

Enjoy!![/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Az Wingrider; 01-31-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Agree on the routes. However, I find it best to do the trip a big in reverse, from Prescott > Bagdad > Wickenburg > Yarnell (Yarnell Hill best heading up the grade -- or even ride it twice -- been there done that uphill twice) > Prescott (-89A going in to Prescott after Yarnell is more uphill and more fun IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by OlyF6B View Post
    +1 on Jerome (especially the "back way" to the top of the mountain with LOTS of curves) -- parking can be dicey in that small hillside town -- and DT Prescott (Whiskey Row) is cool with lots of history and some great eating establishments.

One ride I really like out of Phoenix is to head north on 17 and then onto Wickenburg (various routes to get there). Then, take 93 out of Wickenburg and find your way to the small town of Bagdad (using 97 and 96). 97 is a real roller coaster and is prone to swams of crotch rocket riders... so use caution. Then, from Baddad, you can take 96 down to 15 (junction of 96 and 15 -- turn left to 15) and take the back way into Prescott via 10 (through Skull Valley and Iron Springs Road > Whipple > Montezuma St). Depending on time of year, you could encounter patch snow on the side of the road at higher elevations. If it's cold.. there is a Starbucks off of Montezuma before you get to Sheldon St.

Another great ride is heading NE out of Phoenix to Payson or to Roosevelt Lake areas. If you go straight out to Roosevelt Lake, I'd suggest taking 88 (towards Tortilla Flats). Once there, you could head north on 188 to connect with 87 which will take you to Payson. You can do any number of variations on these routes and have a great time.

Enjoy!!
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

all great info! Thank you. Googling these trips now.