Charging a GoPro on the go.

Thread: Charging a GoPro on the go.

Charging a GoPro on the go.

Tinkering with the F6B getting it ready for some spring riding.

One of the things I want to bring along is a small camera and I chose an older model go pro 5 hero black. I connected the OEM go pro (duo) battery charger to the rear saddlebag USB where I usually plug in my music memory stick, and discovered it will power the battery charger and charge the camera batteries while the engine is running. Nice surprise to me.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Happy trails in 20/20.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

I was looking into adding a cigarette lighter socket to the left saddle bag, ince the battery and accessory posts are on that side.

I want to connect a portable jump starter directly to the battery so it's always charged for use. My unit has two USB connections which would work for charging many devices.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Before you drill let me check to see if my pocket jumpstarter will charge off the OEM USB..

UPDATE
    I can report that the OEM USB port in the left saddlebag will charge a WinPlus jumpstarter rated at 8000 mAh (3.7v) 2700 mAh (12v)

I can't tell what the charge rate will be but I imagine it'll at least keep a device topped up while driving.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Happy trails..
    Last edited by unsub; 02-11-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Yes the USB in saddlebag will charge anything chargeable with a USB port. Those jumpstarters will hold a charge for months so seldom do they need a recharge unless used. You do not want to leave it hooked to battery all the time. I did add some false leads coming off the battery so it is easy to hook up a charger but as long as you can get to the battery you should have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Yes the USB in saddlebag will charge anything chargeable with a USB port. Those jumpstarters will hold a charge for months so seldom do they need a recharge unless used. You do not want to leave it hooked to battery all the time. I did add some false leads coming off the battery so it is easy to hook up a charger but as long as you can get to the battery you should have no problem.
    I'm not sure what "false leads" are...But if it's a Battery Tender connector at the end of two leads coming directly from the battery, I guess the trickle charge of one of these devices could run the battery down if the bikes sitting for a week or more.

I'm talking about connecting my "leads" to the auxiliary connections in the fuse box, just ahead of the battery. The auxiliary connections are switched by the key so a 12V lighter outlet gives me all kinds of connection options but only when the bikes running. On a "longer than one day" trip, I can keep the jumpstarter fully charge AND connect two other USB devices to the Jumpstarters USB connections.

FuseBox.jpg

I use the auxiliary saddle bag USB for my music USB drive, and I'm NOT giving up my music. (lol) I could connect a USB hub but don't imagine the USB 5VDC has enough current to drive too many devices at once.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I can report that the OEM USB port in the left saddlebag will charge a WinPlus jumpstarter rated at 8000 mAh (3.7v) 2700 mAh (12v)

I can't tell what the charge rate will be but I imagine it'll at least keep a device topped up while driving.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Happy trails..
    The ratings you're using here are the WinPlus Jumpstart's battery OUTPUT. The input is the standard USB 5VDC, with the higher than "normal" current of 2 Amps maximum. Once fully charged the Jumpstart should use less current to "trickle" charge, and I agree, the bike's alternator can FULL or trickle charge these devices while the engine is running.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    The ratings you're using here are the WinPlus Jumpstart's battery OUTPUT. The input is the standard USB 5VDC, with the higher than "normal" current of 2 Amps maximum. Once fully charged the Jumpstart should use less current to "trickle" charge, and I agree, the bike's alternator can FULL or trickle charge these devices while the engine is running.
    I only put those specs out there for product identification.

I used the thumb drive for music until I started using my GPS with a micro sd slot, but I understand not everybody uses a dedicated GPS..

Let us know how how your project works out when you're done.

Happy trails.

I think I'll tackle it this weekend. I'll post some pictures of the "path" I find into the saddlebag.

GoPro charging

I usually charge my go pro with the cable connected to the charger accessory in the cubby. I have a dual usb plug connector so I can charge my phone and the camera when I use it. Since I usually place my gopro on top of the left mirror or with a holder placed at the base of the windshield is convenient to charge it with the usb in the cubby.
    Last edited by perohijo; 02-22-2020 at 03:15 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by perohijo View Post
    I usually charge my go pro with the cable connected to the charger accessory in the cubby. I have a dual usb plug connector so I can charge my phone and the camera when I use it. Since I usually place my gopro on top of the left mirror or with a holder placed at the base of the windshield is convenient to charge it with the usb in the cubby.