Colorado "No Frills" Gathering - September 14, 2020 - Lodging and Dates! - Page 12
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Colorado "No Frills" Gathering - September 14, 2020 - Lodging and Dates!

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post
    Thanks Jeff for all your time on this whole trip. Its going to be great.
    My pleasure! Thanks for joining!

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    How are the fires and smoke out that way? I've heard it is bad in places and possibly even just south of Montrose.
    The fires are north of Montrose. I work with a guy that lives in Grand Junction, and will check in with him as we get closer to the dates.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0923637,-107.4687574,8.96z/data=!4m3!15m2!1m1!1s%2Fg%2F11jwlxcn0_

The four major fires are:
    —Biggest, Pine Gulch Fire, about 80,000 acres north of Grand Junction.
    —Grizzly Creek Fire in Glenwood Canyon east of Glenwood Springs. I-70 through the Canyon has been closed for a week now. Really bad. Traffic impact on all East-West routes through Colorado, except US-160 town south.
    —Williams Fork Fire southeast of Kremmling and south of US-40 and North of I-70.
    —Cameron Peak Fire in Poudre Canyon west of Fort Collins and East of Gould. CO-14 is closed for the length of the Canyon.

No or very little containment on these fires unfortunately.

Pretty much the entire state is being negatively impacted by smoke and resulting pollution. I did a 200 mile ride today over Guanella Pass and Squaw Pass north of US-285 and south of I-70 near Georgetown and Idaho Springs. We had a good ride but it was smoky this morning and very smoky this afternoon. We’ll just have to see how things are looking in early September. Unfortunately no significant rain in the forecast.

Couple of pictures. At the top of a Guanella Pass this morning before the smoke got bad, although it was still very hazy. And a sunset picture taken at my house in Woodland Park (west of Colorado Springs) the other evening.

722694EF-40FD-49A3-9A3B-DEC9CC192817.jpg. 55FB9FCB-8E49-4086-80CE-35910F5A0C0F.jpg
    Last edited by F6Bster; 08-17-2020 at 08:12 PM.

I enjoy your pictures. I would think that four weeks from now things will be different than they are now. I have a friend that rode through Grand Mesa and Montrose yesterday on his way home from Sturgis and he said he experienced the smoke but still enjoyed the ride. I am still looking forward to the trip and seeing everyone.

Az Wingrider

Yes, Im sure it will get better. Its not like we are in the middle of a planned global pandemic, an unprecedented economic shutdown with racial riots and now forest fires all aimed to tip an election. Its not going to work, its not going to stop me from riding. Nothing can stop what’s coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post
    Yes, Im sure it will get better. Its not like we are in the middle of a planned global pandemic, an unprecedented economic shutdown with racial riots and now forest fires all aimed to tip an election. Its not going to work, its not going to stop me from riding. Nothing can stop what’s coming.
    Sounds like a joke! So five unbelievable coincidences walk into a bar in Montrose Colorado...
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

If its smokey I”ll just wear my mask. If it stops a 1.25 micron virus (although even the best are spec at 3 microns) it will change that smoke to roses.

I think if I was out that way again and staying in Montrose I would have two routes I would want to do. First been there before more than once but dang it is a good road. Down the million dollar hi way and over to almost Cortez. Back up thru Delores, Rico and Placerville to Montrose. That is a fine loop and short enough (<300) to have lots of stops. Second would be down to again Ridgeway and Placerville then over to Naturita and up to Gateway and Whitewater. Find Mesa and ride thru the Grand Mesa Forest (new to me) then Hotchkiss and Gunnison National Forest and back to Montrose. Little longer about 360 miles but doable.

61142995-5D86-4CAB-BCE1-C45108120D8B.jpg
    I think if I was out that way again and staying in Montrose I would have two routes I would want to do. First been there before more than once but dang it is a good road. Down the million dollar hi way and over to almost Cortez. Back up thru Delores, Rico and Placerville to Montrose. That is a fine loop and short enough (<300) to have lots of stops. Second would be down to again Ridgeway and Placerville then over to Naturita and up to Gateway and Whitewater. Find Mesa and ride thru the Grand Mesa Forest (new to me) then Hotchkiss and Gunnison National Forest and back to Montrose. Little longer about 360 miles but doable.
    Come on man. We’ll ride it. Did most everyone have a vtx before the B? I should not have sold mine.
    12BD2EEE-0EE6-40A0-AEB9-A062D205BFB2.jpg
    Last edited by Audiochris90; 08-18-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Yep. Those are all good ones! If you look at the routings I posted, those are the best for those trips to Grand Mesa, but include Colorado National Monument. The Rim Road is beautiful! And, the ride along the North Rim of the Black Canyon and then do the South Rim with the ride down to the river — exceptional.