Question for our older riders

Thread: Question for our older riders

Question for our older riders

I am 72 and have ridden ever since I was 16 and I will admit I have had a
    few mishaps. Well it,s time to start replacing parts, not on the bike but me.
    Well the question is I am having a hip replaced and am wondering how
    long am I looking at for recovery?
    Will be going in the end of March and hope to be ridding by June.
    Am I being realistic?

I get things (shoulder surgery) and such done in November so as not to miss any of riding season.

Several years ago I had a hip replaced in January and rode 800 miles to Cheaha,Alabama in April. Last year I had a knee replaced in mid April and rode to Taos,New Mexico 6 weeks later for the Valkyrie Rally. Do your therapy and you will be riding again in June. The hardest thing for me to recover enough to feel like riding again was a shoulder replacement. It took a good 6 months before it felt good to ride again although i was riding quite a bit before then.

You should be good to go by then. Just make sure to do your exercises and therapy. I had my left hip replaced Dec. 26th, 2018 and I was ready to go in the Spring. If the weather would have cooperated, I could have ridden sooner. I was 74 at the time of my surgery. It was done on a Wednesday in the late morning and I was dismissed to go home Friday at noon. Good luck Bro.

You'll be just fine. Plan on some pain and discomfort, but being able to rid again is worth it!

One of the men at our card playing group was up and about in less than 30 days without a cane. It's amazing how fast that kind of procedure is recovered from. Best of luck!!

For me it is a mind set...You gotta want it bad, do your PT...eat right (feed your body what it needs to repair itself) and ride !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I saw a friend from a Euchre club that was absent for a while...a little younger than you. He was absent from the previous month's game due to hip replacement. After five (5) weeks, he was back and walking fine without a cane.
    You'll be back in the saddle in no time.
    Good luck and God bless you!!