Personally, I would not let worries about the "ghost shift" stop me from buying a 2013 bike. My 2014 has had the occasional ghost shift since I first bought it (new), despite shifting firmly and intentionally. There was a change between 2013 and 2014, but it didn't 100% remove the issue. In addition to jumping from 4th or 5th to neutral between the two without touching the shifter, occasionally when in 4th gear and attempting to shift to 5th, the shifter feels like it's already in 5th (i.e. there is no "catch" in the shift assembly to move the dogs to put it into 5th. ). Simply re-engaging the clutch and rolling out of the throttle (taking out the lash in the drivetrain) makes it grab the shift forks and we're back in business. I've never seen evidence of damage (no debris in oil in the 6 years I've had her). I suspect there is a minor alignment issue with the shift forks from new. Despite the occasional bike that has this "character", I'm not aware of any bikes that suffer a full-on failure. By contrast, I regularly ride with another member of this forum, who bought his 2013 new, and I don't think he's ever had a ghost shift. YMMV.

With regard to cruise, I agree that 15 was the first year, but for ~$250 one can add a Rostra electronic cruise, and it's not a bad job. I've done three of them now on various bikes.

Kind Regards,
Russell