2013 f6b transmission problems, should I buy one?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 f6b transmission problems, should I buy one?

2013 f6b transmission problems, should I buy one?

Hi all, I put down a deposit on a pretty nice 2013 f6b deluxe with 16k miles the other day but after doing that I read that the 2013 had a weak transmission that was redesigned in 2014.

On the test ride I noticed that the shifting was a little clunky (nothing too unnormal, shifts like my dad's high mileage '03 goldwing) but I missed second gear a few times when taking off from red lights.

Should I pass on this bike and look for a 2014 or 2015 instead? I want to do some long distance riding and hit Twisties with it so I'll be riding it pretty hard every weekend and if the 2013 and earlier transmissions aren't strong enough I don't want to run into problems.

Transmission Problems

A small percentage of Goldwings and F6Bs built before 2014 experienced transmission problems. The problem often called "ghost shifting" was actually uncommanded downshifts, usually from 5th gear to 4th gear. I had a 2007 Goldwing that I put over 100,000 miles on with no problems. I also knew of a couple of other Goldwings that encountered problems almost from new. As far as I know the percentage of bikes with the problem was small but it was significant enough that Honda made a correction. It was also common enough that when I traded mine in on the F6B I was asked if it had any 5th gear problems and they test road it.

So there was a problem and if this bike your looking at is a good bike at a good price it depends on your risk tolerance.

Good luck
    Az Wingrider

I wouldn't worry it.
    Like Az said they are thousands of bike's without any issues

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    Transmission Problems

A small percentage of Goldwings and F6Bs built before 2014 experienced transmission problems. The problem often called "ghost shifting" was actually uncommanded downshifts, usually from 5th gear to 4th gear. I had a 2007 Goldwing that I put over 100,000 miles on with no problems. I also knew of a couple of other Goldwings that encountered problems almost from new. As far as I know the percentage of bikes with the problem was small but it was significant enough that Honda made a correction. It was also common enough that when I traded mine in on the F6B I was asked if it had any 5th gear problems and they test road it.

So there was a problem and if this bike your looking at is a good bike at a good price it depends on your risk tolerance.

Good luck
    Az Wingrider

Thanks for the info, I think the f6b is an incredible bike but knowing my luck if it has a common problem I'm going to be one of the people that experiences it. As hard as it is to pass on this deal I'm going to wait for a decent price on a low mileage 2014 or 2015. Hopefully that happens sooner than later.

Ask about oil changes; If they where done on time and with what oil. Could be the wrong oil was used or hasn't been changed in a long time.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Quote Originally Posted by dashiznit1 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I think the f6b is an incredible bike but knowing my luck if it has a common problem I'm going to be one of the people that experiences it. As hard as it is to pass on this deal I'm going to wait for a decent price on a low mileage 2014 or 2015. Hopefully that happens sooner than later.
    A few changes between the 14 and 15 years, you might want the cruise control and black pipes, I did.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    A few changes between the 14 and 15 years, you might want the cruise control and black pipes, I did.
    Good point but the 2015/16's are still pretty expensive. I could probably get a 2014 and buy a -------- left handlebar cruise control kit and some black aftermarket pipes for the same price as a 2015.

you need to raise your foot a little harder when shifting into 2nd
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    you need to raise your foot a little harder when shifting into 2nd
    I was pretty consistent with the shifter pressure and it only happened twice in 30 minutes. Seemed like the gearbox just didn't want to go into second each time because it grinded a little. I'm not trying to dodge the blame here but I've had plenty of bikes and the only one that felt like that was my old r1 that had 60k miles and a worn out 2nd gear but it was more consistent.

Have em throw in an extended warranty. I’d personally look for a 2014 or later as cruise is a big deal to me.