Saddle Bags Lock, not a big fan of it.

Thread: Saddle Bags Lock, not a big fan of it.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    With help from a phone call to Dweisman49 I was able to modify my lock so I can now unlock the saddlebags AND remove the key. Below is a picture of the tumbler before I modified it. Fairly easy to do with a Dremel tool. Sorry I didn't take step by step pictures.

1. First you will need to remove the lock from the bike. There are many videos showing how to get access to that area.

2. Next you will need to remove the nylon part that holds the cable to release the lock. There is a small pin holding it in place. I drilled a small hole on the opposite side so I could push the pin back out. (Not pictured below)

3. Next you will need to remove the chrome ring that hold the tumbler inside the casing. There are 3 tabs you will need to bend out of the way.

4. In the picture below you can see two groves about 1/4" wide at 6 & 12 O'clock inside the casing.. You will need to cut/grind two more groves inside that casing at 3 & 9 O'clock. (RED area)

Lock1.jpg

When you have the tumbler outside the casing slowly pull the key out and you will see the small plates raising and lowering allowing removal of the key. This is why two new grooves need to be cut, to allow those plates to raise.

As you create the two new grooves test them by inserting the tumbler. I used my Dremel with a small burr tool and took my time.

Once you are able to remove the key in the new position just reassemble and enjoy.

Mark
    Last edited by zeus661; 03-26-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.