Saddle Bags Lock, not a big fan of it. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saddle Bags Lock, not a big fan of it.

I just want the damn lock to work like every other lock in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by F6Joe View Post
    I just want the damn lock to work like every other lock in the world!
    Hey, you got 4 pages out of your problem, so there's that...

You should start another thread, on why the gas door needs a key!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    I for one due carry and extra keys. I had one made that is flat and I keep it in my wallet and another one that I keep on a separate key ring with my house key on it. I been on rides where the owner has lost or lock there key in a trunk (Valkyrie Interstate) and where stuck.
    When I ride with a group we, each, swap a key with another person on the ride. Solves multiple problems at once.

...Oops...Sorry Jeff. I responded before I got all the way to the end.
    Last edited by SeaSteve; 03-24-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

With help from a phone call to Dweisman49 I was able to modify my lock so I can now unlock the saddlebags AND remove the key. Below is a picture of the tumbler before I modified it. Fairly easy to do with a Dremel tool. Sorry I didn't take step by step pictures.

1. First you will need to remove the lock from the bike. There are many videos showing how to get access to that area.

2. Next you will need to remove the nylon part that holds the cable to release the lock. There is a small pin holding it in place. I drilled a small hole on the opposite side so I could push the pin back out. (Not pictured below)

3. Next you will need to remove the chrome ring that hold the tumbler inside the casing. There are 3 tabs you will need to bend out of the way.

4. In the picture below you can see two groves about 1/4" wide at 6 & 12 O'clock inside the casing.. You will need to cut/grind two more groves inside that casing at 3 & 9 O'clock. (RED area)

Lock1.jpg

When you have the tumbler outside the casing slowly pull the key out and you will see the small plates raising and lowering allowing removal of the key. This is why two new grooves need to be cut, to allow those plates to raise.

As you create the two new grooves test them by inserting the tumbler. I used my Dremel with a small burr tool and took my time.

Once you are able to remove the key in the new position just reassemble and enjoy.

Mark
    Last edited by zeus661; 03-26-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    With help from a phone call to Dweisman49 I was able to modify my lock so I can now unlock the saddlebags AND remove the key. Below is a picture of the tumbler before I modified it. Fairly easy to do with a Dremel tool. Sorry I didn't take step by step pictures.

1. First you will need to remove the lock from the bike. There are many videos showing how to get access to that area.

2. Next you will need to remove the nylon part that holds the cable to release the lock. There is a small pin holding it in place. I drilled a small hole on the opposite side so I could push the pin back out. (Not pictured below)

3. Next you will need to remove the chrome ring that hold the tumbler inside the casing. There are 3 tabs you will need to bend out of the way.

4. In the picture below you can see two groves about 1/4" wide at 6 & 12 O'clock inside the casing.. You will need to cut/grind two more groves inside that casing at 3 & 9 O'clock. (RED area)

Lock1.jpg

When you have the tumbler outside the casing slowly pull the key out and you will see the small plates raising and lowering allowing removal of the key. This is why two new grooves need to be cut, to allow those plates to raise.

As you create the two new grooves test them by inserting the tumbler. I used my Dremel with a small burr tool and took my time.

Once you are able to remove the key in the new position just reassemble and enjoy.

Mark
    I always enjoy how hard we will work when some engineer pisses us off.
    We will out think that S.O.B. every time.
    When I worked in Telcom and networking we would have troubles and call the engineers and before we were done
    we would end up doing what we call field engineer it to a solution.
    It left us at times thinking these collage educated engineers only knew what time the train left the station
    To be fair it is always easier sometimes to fix stuff if you are on prem.

Thank you. I am going to save this for my future projects!

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    I always enjoy how hard we will work when some engineer pisses us off.
    We will out think that S.O.B. every time.
    When I worked in Telcom and networking we would have troubles and call the engineers and before we were done
    we would end up doing what we call field engineer it to a solution.
    It left us at times thinking these collage educated engineers only knew what time the train left the station
    To be fair it is always easier sometimes to fix stuff if you are on prem.
    I can not understand why anyone would design it so you can not remove the key when unlocked. Anyone have any guesses?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

My guess is so the passenger won't open it while moving

There must be a Corporate CYA/Legal reason for locking the Honda Ignition key in the lock.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

So you can't lock the key in the bag? :shrugs:
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.