Saddle Bags Lock, not a big fan of it. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saddle Bags Lock, not a big fan of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dweisman429 View Post
    I did it. It's not that bad.

You have to pull everything apart to get to the lock cylinder.
    Once you get the lock cylinder out, you have to disassemble it.

Then finally you can pull the center section with the tumblers out of the housing.

No you will see there is one slot that allows the key to be removed...you need to make a second one.

I used a Dremel with a butt and made short work of it.

It works absolutely great.
    Can you describe what it took to disassemble the tumbler? Is there any chance of the pins falling out?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

The saddle bag lock can be disabled by disconnecting the left and/or right cable ends from the latch mechanism. You can do one side or both. Simple and easily reversible.

Saddlebaglock.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by okf6b View Post
    The saddle bag lock can be disabled by disconnecting the left and/or right cable ends from the latch mechanism. You can do one side or both. Simple and easily reversible.

Saddlebaglock.JPG
    Yes but I am looking for a description on what it takes to modify the tumbler. I understand the tumbler needs to be disassembled and a slot needs to be cut. That is what I am looking for direction.

Just a rhetorical question here. Have we become so lazy that we cannot stick a key in the lock, turn the lock and open the case?
    Asking for a friend.
    Defiant77
    Tampa Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant77 View Post
    Just a rhetorical question here. Have we become so lazy that we cannot stick a key in the lock, turn the lock and open the case?
    Asking for a friend.
    I like to be able to get into my bags while the bike is running. I don't want to carry two keys either. I don't want to cut a key and leave it in either. I like riding all day and leaving them unlocked like I did with previous bikes. I personally think it is a stupid function that Honda should have put more thought into. I ask you why does Honda think we need to have them locked all the time? Why did they not think this out? They did on other bikes with saddlebags.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    I like to be able to get into my bags while the bike is running. I don't want to carry two keys either. I don't want to cut a key and leave it in either. I like riding all day and leaving them unlocked like I did with previous bikes. I personally think it is a stupid function that Honda should have put more thought into. I ask you why does Honda think we need to have them locked all the time? Why did they not think this out? They did on other bikes with saddlebags.
    Agree with you 100%, completely stupid function that I have never had on any other bike. My Wing does not do that, but if it did at least it has a remote, and no I am not going to buy and install the bag openers. Not about being lazy, it is about what is convenient for me, and it is about how I want it. Looks like you want it that way too.

Dude!! Look at: https://mblinnovations.com/shop?olsP...lease-w-remote
    I installed these two (2) years ago and love them. Great product exclusively for the F6B. You'll love it and it not too expensive...$170

Quote Originally Posted by dalebratton View Post
    Dude!! Look at: https://mblinnovations.com/shop?olsP...lease-w-remote
    I installed these two (2) years ago and love them. Great product exclusively for the F6B. You'll love it and it not too expensive...$170
    I have thought about those but getting tired of spending money. Plus those can fail. It just does not make sense. You go for a ride and the temperature is colder than you thought. You get a few miles down the road and decide to get your gloves out of your saddlebag. To do so you need to shut the bike down to open the saddlebag. Sure I could carry an extra key but do you carry one for your car? Sure I could cut a key and glue it to a knob and leave it in, then it is not really secure. F...en stupid design.

I for one due carry and extra keys. I had one made that is flat and I keep it in my wallet and another one that I keep on a separate key ring with my house key on it. I been on rides where the owner has lost or lock there key in a trunk (Valkyrie Interstate) and where stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    I for one due carry and extra keys. I had one made that is flat and I keep it in my wallet and another one that I keep on a separate key ring with my house key on it. I been on rides where the owner has lost or lock there key in a trunk (Valkyrie Interstate) and where stuck.
    I do have a second key hidden on the bike but not easily accessible.