Trip Planning
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip Planning

Trip Planning

I am thinking of traveling out west. I have a workshop/meeting thing to go to at the end of summer. If it gets canceled I will still probably do this... I am thinking about taking leave, and riding out to UT from New Orleans, basically.

What is the best way to trip plan? What do you guys use? Know of any cool things I should plan to stop and see along the way? I will probably go through Albuquerque, NM. to see friends there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

So much depends upon how much time you have. Hopefully things will be somewhat normalized by then.

A few of the things that I really enjoy are/were (just a few of the many):

• Grand Canyon South Rim and North Rim
      Zion National Park
      Bryce Canyon National Park
      UT-12 Red Canyon - Bryce Canyon - Escalante Grand Stair Case - Burr Trail (out to end of pavement and back) - Boulder Mountain
      Capitol Reef National Park
      Million Dollar Highway (US-550) Durango to Silverton to Ouray
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

If you have the time, stay away from the interstates. Total boredom. Sure, it's slower on the two lanes, but you find things in small towns, that you never would see from the freeways. Like mom and pop resturaunts, and shops.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    So much depends upon how much time you have. Hopefully things will be somewhat normalized by then.

A few of the things that I really enjoy are/were (just a few of the many):

• Grand Canyon South Rim and North Rim
      Zion National Park
      Bryce Canyon National Park
      UT-12 Red Canyon - Bryce Canyon - Escalante Grand Stair Case - Burr Trail (out to end of pavement and back) - Boulder Mountain
      Capitol Reef National Park
      Million Dollar Highway (US-550) Durango to Silverton to Ouray
    Thanks! I'll take a look at them. I was living in San Diego in 2018 for work and drove back home here. I did the Grand Canyon and Carlsbad Caverns. I was trailering and had the dog w/ me. I am looking forward to this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Yeah, at a minimum, I am just thinking about "Avoid Freeways" in WAZE and following where it takes me. I will leave time to burn. Having a few destinations along the way to see and phot is another thing I'm looking for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Sounds like a great opportunity for exploration. The areas mentioned by F6Bster are all great. If you are going to Albuquerque you might wander up to Taos which is a neat destination and then take US highways 64 and 84 through the Carson National Forrest to Chama (great steam train) and on to Pagosa Springs, Colorado. From Pagosa Springs you can access a lot of the great Colorado rides. Some of my favorites are Million Dollar Highway (US 550), Silver Thread (Co-149), Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Grand Mesa, and one of my favorites is from Cortez up CO-145, to Naturita then CO-90 through Bedrock to UT-45 to US-191 and into Moab.

If you move onto Utah it is an entirely different type of terrain. The places mentioned by F6Bster are all great riding in the southern part of the state. Zion is one of my favorite national parks and I always try to make time for it when I am in the area. Utah highways 12 and 24 are two of the greatest rides in the country and I urge to include them in your itinerary.

Have a great ride and tell us about it when its over
    Az Wingrider

I know everyone says stay off the super slab but it is the best way to get somewhere fast. If headed to a fantastic area like Col and Utah you need to get away from the bayou quickly. Nothing to see that compares to the Rockies across the route to get there. Hit I-49 and I-20 to the other side of Dallas then head North West and you will be in good roads by early the second day.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I know everyone says stay off the super slab but it is the best way to get somewhere fast. If headed to a fantastic area like Col and Utah you need to get away from the bayou quickly. Nothing to see that compares to the Rockies across the route to get there. Hit I-49 and I-20 to the other side of Dallas then head North West and you will be in good roads by early the second day.
    Yeah, I live in this area, and feel no reason to take my time in here. I am thinking North TX or farther when I will start working my way around the smaller roads, terrain and seeing new sights. In the Delta, it is a nice stop to go see the BB King Museum if you like Blues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Any planning software used? I have time to play, so may do a hodge podge of methods. I do not have a navigator on the bike or phone short of Waze, so I am not really programming waypoints, but that is pretty doable, once I research some spots and roads along the way. I have never ridden in that area, so I am looking forward to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get yourself a Butler Motorcycle map. It highlights all the best routes and color codes the best ones. Not a lot of guessing left. They are made by riders, for riders. I took pics of my route and keep them on my phone as well. They go for about $14 bucks if I recall, and are worth every cent. They compliment the GPS in my opinion.

I’m planning a trip down the west coast, two things I’m considering at the moment, many places don’t currently allow people in the restroom, Starbucks, McDonald’s, gas stations. when I stop to eat, lots of places are takeout only, so I would have to eat on the bike, or find a place to sit.

Hopefully things will change and this is not the “new normal”

Ride safe