Trip Planning - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trip Planning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Take a look at Garmin Basecamp and Rever. You can run Rever on your phone.

Route 66

Others have suggested some great scenic roads that you won't regret. But there are also some great opportunities for nostalgia in that part of the country. Of course I'm talking about Route 66!

From OKC west, Route 66 runs pretty close to I-40 most of the time. There are plenty of museums and old businesses and attractions in various states of repair. If you stay in some of the old 'Mom and Pop' motels you'll be surprised at who you'll meet. People from around the world see the road as a part of American history you can still live. A few years ago I was staying in Tucumcari, New Mexico. In the parking lot I met a group of 9 Swiss police officers riding rented Harleys for a European magazine article. I also met 3 older men from Australia who purchased a '65 Thunderbird convertible in Nashville, and were driving it along Route 66 to L.A. where they planned to ship it back home. They all loved the freedom Route 66 represented.

I was in Tucumcari for a Valkyrie BBQ at the Blue Swallow Motel, which claims to be the oldest Route 66 motel in continuous operation. Here's a great picture:

So good Nat King Cole sang a song about it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

I'm adding my agreement to Butler Maps and Rever Trip Planning, and actually you can get the Butler Maps ON the Rever trip planning app. It's expensive, I think $100 for a years subscription.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

IF you belong to AAA, go visit an office and work with a travel advisor to create "Trip Tix" for the proposed route. Then, using Google Maps, check out alternative roads that get you from Point A-B-C-D, etc. to gauge mileage and travel time for each segment. Once you settle on the route (# of miles/day, # of days, etc.), then do search for lodging options in or near your major waypoints.

If you don't belong to AAA... skip that part and just start with Google Maps.

Once I get a segment formalized, I screen grab the map and print it out to hardcopy in case my electronics go sideways.

Enjoy - hope the ride works out!

Thanks for the input guys. I'll start exploring options, calculating the leave to travel time match.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B