FB6 Cruise Control Set

Thread: FB6 Cruise Control Set

FB6 Cruise Control Set

I'm having a problem with intermittent failure of cruise control set on my2016 FB6 Deluxe. I sprayed contact cleaner in set button and it resolved the issue temporarily but it did not last. Now I cannot set it at all. Any thoughts on how to resolve?

Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    I'm having a problem with intermittent failure of cruise control set on my2016 FB6 Deluxe. I sprayed contact cleaner in set button and it resolved the issue temporarily but it did not last. Now I cannot set it at all. Any thoughts on how to resolve?
    When I was wrenching on Gold Wings a few years ago this was a common problem. The grease inside the switch gums up and does not allow the internal mechanism to move. Almost impossible to get anything like WD-40 or spray lubes into the switch. Try this - press the switch and instead of letting off immediately hold the switch in for 30 seconds or so. That may allow the internal mechanism to move position slowly. OR - if you're brave and of good character you can take the switch apart but be aware that there be dragons (very small springs and parts that like to run from you and hide on your garage floor)!! It can be done but it's risky cause if you lose the parts you are looking at buying a whole module, pretty sure Honda doesn't sell just the switch.

I can confirm that the mothership doesn't provide switch replacements. I had to have the entire left grip swapped out (under Honda Warranty) because the turn signal switch stopped working properly. It was simply gunked up and no 'physical' damage was ever found.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

And just as another thought, ensure that it is not the clutch switch causing the problem. They are infamous for causing the cruise to shut off, so you might spray it also. And, maybe use some electrical contact spray vs WD-40. WD-40 can sometimes actually cause electrical connections to gum up a bit. Good Luck!
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

+1 to being sure that it's the switch causing the issue. The harness for the right grip ties in just under the right side blanking panel (where the button is for the grip heaters on a deluxe) near the speaker. It would be fairly straightforward to unplug there and check continuity through the switch set without too much disassembly. If you then confirm that it is the switchset, then you can replace that. If I recall correctly, I paid about $150 for my right side switchset when I installed cruise on my 2014 (I wanted factory controls for cruise).

The service manual section 21-4 (at least in my old copy) has a pretty good troubleshooting flowchart, if you find it's not the switch.

I had that problem on my 2015 Deluxe a year after I bought it new. Took it to the dealer for repair and they had the bike for a week before determining that the control module was at fault and had to order a new one. Replaced the unit and all was well again. Thankfully everything was under warranty, so no out of pocket cost.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    The service manual section 21-4 (at least in my old copy) has a pretty good troubleshooting flowchart, if you find it's not the switch.
    I'm resurrecting this post because my cruise control stopped "setting" on my 1 year old 2016 F6B last weekend. I'll be breaking out service manual this weekend to look at it.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I didn't watch the whole video but maybe this will help:

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

There is also a switch at the rear brake foot pedal that can get misaligned (especially after a brake recall).
    Albuquerque, NM

Check micro-switches on clutch and brake levers, and the rear brake pedal also. Electrical contact cleaner and work them several times. That is often the problem.