Rear seat bag question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear seat bag question

Rear seat bag question

On a couple of long trips I have used a regular 'ol piece of carry-on luggage, which works fine but definitely doesn't look great, and more importantly is a pia to strap or tie down.

I'm looking for a bag for long trips that is a cinch to tie down to the rear seat. Easy on, easy off, and sturdy. I have a givi top case on the rear rack, which is great for getting in and out of the hotel rooms easily, and it would be nice to replicate this ease with a rear seat bag, and with so many options on the market, I'd love to hear feedback on the board favorites. Thanks!

Jason

I think any good motorcycle bag will work. I prefer ones that have a waterproof cover to put over it when needed. The problem is where to tie it down. Wing Stuff has these https://wingstuff.com/products/33309...eat-bolt-combo that I added and it helps, the pointed bolts are nice also. Additionally I added two on each side eyelets to accept with ease bungee hooks, two in the bike and two on the MP3 rack.

I have a Givi waterproof roll bag similar to this. Easily tied down and waterproof (I can vouch for this part). Been on all my longer trips, holds a bunch of stuff. I bought the ROK straps and use them for tie down. There are better looking alternatives but this one works.

https://www.amazon.com/UT804-Waterpr...s%2C163&sr=8-1
    Last edited by ReserveBum; 05-01-2020 at 07:03 AM.

That's a nice bag, ReserveBum. I like that.

Verismo - I have a Saddlemen 3400 bag that I picked up off a fellow rider for $75 if I recall correctly. When my daughter has been with me on trips, I've put it on my rear rack. When I'm alone, I've put it on the passenger seat and used it for a backrest (it has a cushion on it for that purpose). In that position, I simply strapped it to the handrails.

I use these on my MP3 rack and the passenger handrails for the back seat. Easy on easy off and no problems with the paint or damage to the seat. They are less than $9 for a set of four.

Loop Tie Down Straps.JPG

I have the Kuyakyn version of the Saddleman 3400. I use Motorcycle ROC Straps to strap the bag onto the passenger seat.

I shortened and sewed the longer, adjustable, "male" plastic clip side of the strap to allow me to permanently attach them under the grab rail at the bolt mounting. The pictures show the clip out and the clip tucked away.

The shorter bungee ends simply stay hanging on the bag, always ready to go. The weak point is the plastic clip. I've used this setup for several trips and haven't had a single problem. I bought another set of ROC straps which I use to strap things down on the luggage rack.

ROC Out.jpgROC Tucked.jpg
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

My set up is a lot like ReserveBum with a Torrent 40 L waterproof bag and ROC straps. Used as a backrest as well before I bought a real one...

Be safe out there riding and socializing.
    WEG

wolfman duffle bag and it is waterproof
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Is that drilled and tapped or drilled through?