Possible F6B purchase
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible F6B purchase

Possible F6B purchase

Hey folks! I’ve joined the forum to ask and learn some things on a possible F6B purchase. A little about the bike, 2013 with 36,000 miles. It’s being traded into my local power sports dealer on the 15th of this month so I haven’t been able to test ride or really look the bike in until then. The bike seems to be in great shape and is a one owner from a older gentleman. While a quick walk around I noticed a passengers backrest and heated grips. Some questions I have.

Can I expect the normal 100,000 plus that I see on goldwings? The 36,000 is more than my current and I’m looking long term.

How is it for shorter riders? I’m 5 ft 8in with a 30 in inseam.

I noticed a lot of mustang seat replacements, is the stock terrible? Is that the way to go or anyone done mean city cycles?

What, if any, large required maintenance is there? Plugs and oil changes I can do now issues. Valve or motor work is out of my relm.

That’s all I can think of for now. lol. Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard. I have a 2013 with 45k and it’s still virtually new.

To address some of your points:

If heated grips and backrest are OEM, it is likely a Deluxe. Center stand and self cancelling signals will confirm.

You can expect exceedingly more than 100,000 miles.

Shorter riders typically opt for the Mustang seat as it drops you down about 1 to 1-1/2 inches in the seat. Customs are also an option. For me, the stock was uncomfortable so I moved to Mustang. Loved the seat and the seating position but longer all day rides became uncomfortable. I then moved to an Ultimate which is ridiculously comfortable but does not sit as low as the Mustang. YMMV

Maintenance has been minimal, typical fluid changes, etc. Nothing major in the maintenance schedule.

Hi, welcome to the forum and hope your deal works out for you. This forum is great for really good info and if you use the search feature, there is all kinds of great resources available. For instance, if you search seats, you will spend a 14 day quarantine reading about every possible option.
    It sounds like you are looking at a "Deluxe" version which adds the backrest, heated grips, and center stand. I also have a 2013 Deluxe that I bought new which now has 60k and is going strong. Other than standard upkeep (oil changes, spark plugs, air filter (this ones a bitch if you do your own), brake-coolant-clutch fluid changes) the only oem part that I replaced due to any kind of problem was the alternator (old one still worked but the bearings were noisy).
    I am 5'10" w/ a 30" inseam. The stock seat is ok for some, but many replace it. I have been through a few seats and currently run a Corbin. The advantage of the Mustang and the Corbin is that they sit you lower "in" the bike which is better for flat footing at stops.
    There is one possible issue you need to watch for...the transmission on the 13 models seem to have more problems with what we are calling "ghost shifting", which is the bike dropping a gear without driver input. This also has been greatly debated on this site and you may have to re-quarantine to read all that info.
    Bottom line, this is the best bike (by far) I have ever owned. If I had to buy again for any reason, this is the bike. I have been on numerous long distance rides (i am gonna get flamed for this cause many guys on this forum have many more miles than I have) and the bike is awesome on the hiway as well as the backroads. Its a great handling machine that will give you much pleasure whether you are county cruising or going cross country. Good luck with your decision and let us know if we can answer any questions.

Welcome to the forum, alexanders.

In my experience, the GL1800 platform in general is robust and reliable. Oil/filter and rear diff oil changes are super easy, as are plug changes. ReserveBum is correct that the air filter replacement takes a bit of time. It's a "feature".

With regard to saddles, I'm 6 years in and still on the stock one, but I have added a beadrider beaded seat cover (hey 600,000 cabbies in NYC can't ALL be wrong). I have ridden the bike with a Mustang seat, and it's nice, but made for a bit too much knee bend for me (the lower seat height makes the seat-to-peg distance a bit shorter).

I won't worry about the ghost shifting the GL1800 been around for many years.
    My 2013 doesn't have it, very few have it and it only happens a few times a year
    I also have Mustang seat but on all day ride I use a Airhawk cushion

Agree with JackB. I would not lose much sleep on ghost shifting as a concern. My 2014 does it from time to time. Shifting firmly helps, but does not 100% eliminate. I agree that not all bikes do it...but more importantly, I'm not aware of any examples of units suffering transmission damage as a result.

I have a black 2013 also and it has had very minimal problems. Does the bike have an existing warranty. I did change to the mustang seat more comfortable. This is a great bike for around town or long trips. Hard to say anything bad about it at all. I love mine 45K and pushing. LOL Enjoy

Thanks for all the replies! The bike doesn’t have any kinda of extended warranty, I could buy one but I’d rather not. I’m looking forward to riding it.

One more question $8495 is the price they are asking. Seems fair to me and below nada and kbb. Does that sound out of line to anyone?

That's a very good price

I'd say that's a pretty good price. I am a half inch taller than you, shorty... haha. 5'8.5" and 30" inseam. I find the bike to be just the right size. Using the stock seat cause, as ReserveBum says, you could spend all of quarantine reading seat reviews. I find the stock seat as comfortable as any even for long days in the saddle. The only thing I haven't added, but want, is the driver's backrest. I find the seat doesn't support good posture. But 3 years in and I still haven't bought one, so that tells you just how bad that problem isn't.
    One thing I recommend is to check every single switch to ensure they engage and release. Including the emergency flasher. The switches can get funked up inside and stop working. Shop can fix/clean if they don't work if needed.