K1600 b
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K1600 b

K1600 b

Yep I find myself attracted to this bike. I love my F6B and this thing looks a lot like it but with 160HP. Other advances also but there goes my Honda quality. I have a 03 VTX with over 50K and my 15 B with well over 50K and neither has ever had to go to a shop for repairs. One unneeded valve check on the X and the brake recall on the B before I got it at 10k. Would not expect that in a BMW but that 160 HP yikes. Price is not too hurtfull with lightly used or new leftovers for under 20K. A new HD CVO 117 pulled away from me last week and I was shocked. I got to ask Him if extra ump has been added, He always has on His past bikes. Yes or no 160 HP would fix that. Keep the B and add the beamer but they are so much alike and the garage is already full. I got to get this out of my head! I can get over the race by keep thinking it was a 14K bike against a 44K bike. It is still fun to wish.
    BMW-K1600B.jpg

Good looking bike. I checked it out, too. But the lack of dealerships near me, and cost of maint and parts, were too much for my wallet. For example, I was looking at the R1200RT, and it requires valve adjustments every 8000 miles, and the engine must be cold. So, if I was to go to the dealership, which is 1 1/2 hours from me, I have to trailer it, and either sit and wait, or come back again the next day. And the dealership said they get around $400 for that job, on that model. Never mind the cost of my transporting it, and my time. If you have a dealer close by, or do your own valve adjusting, then maybe consider it. I have ridden several BMW's, and they seem fine, just not for me. I have 3 good friends, that all ride BMW's, not necessarily new bikes, but every trip with these 3 guys, at least 1 of them has problems. Usually electrical stuff. Anyone can change oil and filters, but all that electrical stuff, is usually above my comfort level.

Reliability is my biggest concern. We do have a dealer here but I'm spoiled have been riding rice as some say for a long time. I most likely will not dive in as BMWs rating is worse than HD. But still it is fun to dream.

2wheelsforme - The K1600 sure is a nice bike. I've sat on one, but not ridden it. I agree with your concern about reliability. BMWs are not Hondas, that is for sure. I've got an R1200GSA and it's a great bike and makes a great complement to the F6b, but the forum for that bike is much more lively with the stories of "X happened, now how do I fix it?"

jm21ddd15 - On the K1600, it looks like the valve checks are called for at 18k miles, BUT unlike the R1200RT (all R bikes) and the F6b, it's not a boxer engine with the heads pointed out, so the valves are a bit more of a challenge to get to. A quick search seems to indicate about $1k for that service, including spark plugs. Of course, on the F6b, THAT job is easy, while the air filter is a half-day affair.

That said, I've always been a proponent of riding what makes you want to ride more...I say take one for a ride and see if you fall in love.

Test road the BMW in Sturgis last year and not a fan of how I fit on the bike. The extra horsepower is meaningless if you’re uncomfortable. I’ve had many bikes, mostly HD, and the B is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever had. My biggest complaint is all the plastic and crappy fasteners. Oil changes are child’s play while air filters are rocket science. Thanks Honda.

Try the new Rocket III
    2016 F6B Matte Grey
    2016 XDiavel (Sadly...gone)
    2014 M109r (FHD Classic) (Sadly...gone)
    2014 VRSCF (Gone)
    2006 VTX 1300C (Gone)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

Took a look on line at the new R3s, wow! I did not know that 2020 brought such a change, more HP and that single sided swingarm is fantastic looking I think. I plan tomorrow to go look in person at the local Triumph place, they have both the R and the GT. Might look at the Beamer also as they have two on the floor at Adventure Motor Sports. Of course Triumphs do not have the Honda quality either. It is completely diff from the F6B though.

The R3 GT is a great looking bike! I sat on one at our local dealer....my wallet started vibrating so I know it was time to leave before I did something impulsive!
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne06 View Post
    The R3 GT is a great looking bike! I sat on one at our local dealer....my wallet started vibrating so I know it was time to leave before I did something impulsive!
    I NEED a new R18.

Funny, I just watched an 18 wing and the 1600 comparison on you tube yesterday. Very close, but they did decide the BMW won. Larger gas tank, quicker, more storage. One guy still would take the wing though. Guess it a close coin flip, or as someone here said, how it feels to you. That’s the most important thing.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.