It's been a while....

Thread: It's been a while....

It's been a while....

....since I joined the F6B Forum back in '17 when I picked up my leftover '16 F6BD but haven't posted since. I remember posting about the K1600B as well as Honda's new Goldwing when they both came out in '18, but unfortunately, can't find my post.This being said, I was torn at that time between both new models even though I'd just bought my '16 B in '17 (which I love) and was real curious about both new models, as well as their comparisons.

It's been 3yr now that I own me Honda, and decided to try the BMW, so yesterday I placed a deposit on a '19 leftover Imperial Blue Metallic K1600B which was a direct target aimed at Honda's B when it was released. So soon is my time (after sufficient milage) to share my impressions between these two bikes. Although Honda has totally redesigned their B (Goldwing) and some may feel it's not a fair comparison (myself included) I'm still looking forward to doing so because I feel the '16 B is an amazing motorcycle regardless, and it's totally subjective but I feel I cant go wrong with either, I hope. Keep you posted, and in the meantime everyone stay safe!

Joe

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it, Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it, Joe.
    Thank you.

I liked the Beemer since it came out but cost of maintenance and lack of dealer network near me have been reasons to pause.Looking forward to your comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Taz View Post
    I liked the Beemer since it came out but cost of maintenance and lack of dealer network near me have been reasons to pause.Looking forward to your comparison.
    Thank you as well.
    I forgot to mention that the dealer also threw in the first 500mi service. First thing I do when I get a new bike is buy the genuine shop manual and perform all scheduled maintenance myself. No dealer has ever seen my bikes again after leaving the showroom. Been doing this for 25yrs so it's saved me a lot of money, but most importantly, the experience of knowing the bike I'm riding inside a & out is priceless, so not worried about any maintenance or repairs after the warranty expires.
    The bike came with a 3 1/2yr warranty, but I'm also going for the additional 4yr extended so it'll be a while before I'll be doing any repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post
    Thank you as well.
    I forgot to mention that the dealer also threw in the first 500mi service. First thing I do when I get a new bike is buy the genuine shop manual and perform all scheduled maintenance myself. No dealer has ever seen my bikes again after leaving the showroom. Been doing this for 25yrs so it's saved me a lot of money, but most importantly, the experience of knowing the bike I'm riding inside a & out is priceless, so not worried about any maintenance or repairs after the warranty expires.
    The bike came with a 3 1/2yr warranty, but I'm also going for the additional 4yr extended so it'll be a while before I'll be doing any repairs.
    Sounds like you have your situation covered doubleh. I have been wanting an R1200/1250R for a long time but like others have said, the lack of a nearby dealership is of some concern. I can do my own basic maintenance like oil & filter & final drive service and could probably do the valve checks on the boxer twin. Other than that, I would prefer that a reputable dealer do the work.
    Everybody says the cost of maint. on a BMW is prohibitive, but our Hondas do have a schedule of services. If a person let a Honda dealer do all of that work, would the cost of the BMW be that much more? I think it would be like doubleh says; get to know your bike and do the scheduled work yourself. I owned a BMW(1988 K75S) and it was trouble free and a blast to ride for the 7 years I owned it. I would hope the 1250R would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    Sounds like you have your situation covered doubleh. I have been wanting an R1200/1250R for a long time but like others have said, the lack of a nearby dealership is of some concern. I can do my own basic maintenance like oil & filter & final drive service and could probably do the valve checks on the boxer twin. Other than that, I would prefer that a reputable dealer do the work.
    Everybody says the cost of maint. on a BMW is prohibitive, but our Hondas do have a schedule of services. If a person let a Honda dealer do all of that work, would the cost of the BMW be that much more? I think it would be like doubleh says; get to know your bike and do the scheduled work yourself. I owned a BMW(1988 K75S) and it was trouble free and a blast to ride for the 7 years I owned it. I would hope the 1250R would be the same.
    Yes, I have the situation covered, and if I don't I will learn how. I forgot to mention, another main reason I do all my own work from day one is because I've heard too many horror stories from motorcycle owners from all types of manufacturers not being diligent, at all. This is unacceptable and a complete waste of everyones time if one needs to keep bringing their motorcycle back to the dealer again and again.

I Have a friend with a '14 Triumph Rocket Roadster who needed the valve cover gasket replaced, which seems to be a common issue from what I've read. He dropped his bike off at Triumph (without my knowledge) and 1 well later they still hadn't touched it. I urged him to get the bike back and I did the job for him (in +/-6hrs first time doing it) without issue. Saved him a nice amount of money (IIRC $160.00 per hour!?) as well as down-time. When it come down to it, it's a matter of nuts & bolts, reading & understanding and taking your time and doing the job correctly.

Dealers are a revolving door and simply don't have the time to dedicate themselves. They're in the business to make time & money as quickly as possible. I agree 100% that Honda's maintenance cost/repairs would cost just as much as BMW's. Glad to hear your '88 K75S was trouble free for 7yrs. If one day you do get the R1200/1250R I wish you well and many years of reliability and safe riding!