HP rating

Thread: HP rating

HP rating

From the best I can tell we are supposed to have about 116 Hp with about 100 measured. I wonder if my bike has that with 55K on the odo and all things still stock. Found a place close by that will do a dyno for 50 bucks, thinking I might do that. This is just for 2 runs with HP and torque measured, no adjustments. It is a HD place and they do not work on other brands. Surprised they even let me in the door. If my numbers are low I will go to plan B which is yet to be determined but could be as simple as valves checked, plugs changed and a new air filter and then another 50 to see if I have an improvement. Or as drastic as new bike time, would hate that as mine is just now the way I like with seat, bars and shield that I like along with many other small upgrades. I do not want after market pipes and intake filter change. The bike is smooth, cranks easy and gets good gas mileage, don't want to mess that up. Interested in what a few of you that actually have experience in this type of thing think.

For me, HP is just a number. If the bike fits and delivers reliable performance, that would be good enough. All the Maint. items you mentioned are past due according to the schedule. I would just do those and enjoy the ride.

My guess more damage done to a bike on a Dyno than in years of riding. Numbers are only for bragging. That probably why it at a HD dealership.

A Dyno at a HD dealership? It wouldn't be calibrated to read anything over 75HP would it?

Chances are the valves are fine; they rarely need adjustment. Do the other stuff if it hasn't been done, and then put it on the dyno. Your bike should be about as good as it ever will be. Enough miles to be loosened up, not enough to be "tired". Post your results, many of us are interested to know what a stock bike baselines at.

Ok I think I will just change plugs and see if the seat of my pants can tell. I'm going on a week long ride soon and with that 117 so will be matched up numerus times. Today I test rode a new BMW 1600 B and my god was it a acceleration machine. Felt smaller than my B. Also rode a GS 1250 and dang it is really fast also with some higher than us HP numbers. Really small feeling and not for me. Both beamers had high rev limits and that is where they excel. The Rocket 3 was beautiful and large but did not sit large. They said short people had complained about the size so they make it better for them. I bet I could fix it with an RDL seat and Helibars but now your talking mid 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    A Dyno at a HD dealership? It wouldn't be calibrated to read anything over 75HP would it?
    Funny story about Hondas, Dino's, and HDs. I once put my 1998 Valk on a Dino at an HD gathering. It was Free and the guy running it begged me to put it on. Never did that before except for my sport bikes. The Valk was pushing 75k and it came out 94 HP and 96 on the torque side. Not bad for a 10 year old bike at the time. The best part was they had a video screen that everyone standing around could watch. The guy next to me has his wife (all decked out in HD leather) with him who didn't get it, As the numbers went up she started clapping and going wow look at that. She was very happy, he grabbed her and dragged her away. I was laughing!

I’ve run both of my Bs. Both 102+HP, 103+ft lb torque. If your going to run your bike make sure that your rear tire is properly inflated and not at the end of its life, tread or age. Most of the reports of tire failures after or during a run are under inflated and or old outdated dry rotted tires.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Ok I think I will just change plugs and see if the seat of my pants can tell. I'm going on a week long ride soon and with that 117 so will be matched up numerus times. Today I test rode a new BMW 1600 B and my god was it a acceleration machine. Felt smaller than my B. Also rode a GS 1250 and dang it is really fast also with some higher than us HP numbers. Really small feeling and not for me. Both beamers had high rev limits and that is where they excel. The Rocket 3 was beautiful and large but did not sit large. They said short people had complained about the size so they make it better for them. I bet I could fix it with an RDL seat and Helibars but now your talking mid 20s.
    That's why it's good to have an FJR in the garage. 145hp...