A Few No0b Questions After Tinkering a Little... - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Few No0b Questions After Tinkering a Little...

Why do you need to replace the clutch?
    They usually last a very long time.

Ive added some new electronics and my dash now looks like this: Goldwing%20Dash.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I have no idea. It's slipping like crazy. Taking it in this morning to get checked out.
    2015 Matte Silver F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Turns out, it’s probably just dirty fluid, and a clogged cylinder. They’re going to replace all fluids and do an oil change. I’d venture to guess the original owner never had anything changed. 😑

5) Is the intercom cable a powered line? I will never utilize it.

I can't remember if there's a low DC voltage on one of the pins but it's not going to be 12VDC. You can remove the left cubby and drop the connector on the inside of the shelter. I "zip-tied" mine to the aux power wires under the cubby.

This You Tube video shows you how to remove the left cubby. Once removed you can get 12VDC from an open connected below the cubby. Here's a Plug & Play Power Port that connects right up. Most owners attach the port to the top right corner inside the cubby. You could also get creative and run the power out the same "hole" the intercom cable runs though.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinT View Post
    So, I got my new-to-me 2015 in yesterday, and was able
    to look over it a little. I have a few questions....
    I'll provide an input to you based upon my experience:

1) What's the little square next to the cubby lock on the
    right fairing?
    • Nothing there on your bike, but it is a great place to install a number of switches, lights, etc. I installed a voltmeter and the LED for my Gorilla alarm there.

2) What's under the cover in the right fairing, and why
    isn't there more storage there?
    • Provides access to the radiator cap. If your bike has cruise control module, it is mounted there also. (The older GL1800's had storage there and the cruise control module was under the top cover below the radio unit, but the cruise had electronic leakage resulting in a hum on some bikes into the radio -- I had shielded my unit on by 2002 by wrapping it in aluminum foil.) There is a little room under there. I installed my Gorilla alarm unit there since I do not have to access it.

4) What does a clutch job usually run? This thing definitely
    needs a clutch.
    • Did you check the clutch fluid? Clutch lever need adjusting? I would be surprised that the clutch would need replaced unless it was really abused. I put 154k+ miles on my 2002 GL1800 and never an issue with the clutch. I totaled by 2002 and now have a 2016 F6B Deluxe.

5) Is the intercom cable a powered line? I will never utilize it.
    • Not an issue. Just turn the intercom off by pressing the INTERCOM button and holding until the intercom is not displayed on the screen.

6) Following the instructions, I can't get to the screen to
    customize the "opening ceremony" sequence. Am I missing a trick?
    • They can be finicky sometimes. I did in on my 2002 but haven't done it on my F6B.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Yeah, I’m doing it in time, but following the directions, I never make it to the proper screen.
    Her is my recommendation:

I tried roughly 4 times. It kept timing out. After cursing loudly several times I opened a Dukes Brown Ale and called into the house for the wife. She came out tried once and said I got it. She got it on the 2nd try.

Turns out, it’s probably just dirty fluid, and a clogged cylinder. They’re going to replace all fluids and do an oil change. I’d venture to guess the original owner never had anything changed. 😑
    Well, update. It needs a clutch. 😑 The previous owner appears to never have changed the fluids in this bike, and the dirty fluids led to the ruination of the clutch.

Well, update. It needs a clutch.  The previous owner appears to never have changed the fluids in this bike, and the dirty fluids led to the ruination of the clutch.

If the engine oil wasn't changed assume the rest of the fluids haven't been changed. You should probable have the rear drive oil, coolant, break and clutch fluid changed while it's there.

Here are "MY" answers to your remaining questions...

3) I removed the badges, which went well, except there is some discoloration under the "Anniversary Eagle" and the "H" and "N" of the front HONDA badge. It has no varying texture to the touch. Any recommendations on
    remedying that on a matte silver?
    Don't think anyone has found a perfect solution to the "shadows" left behind by removing the Factory Honda Decals. My solution was to cover with new decals.

8) Are the stock stereo speakers silver in the middle? Not sure if mine are stock or aftermarket.
    I replaced my stock speakers with J&M Performance XT Faring Speakers, that have a large silver center on the diaphragm. They are a little bit louder but still not great at 70+MPH with a low windshield.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I'm no expert mechanic, but I don't see how not changing the fluids would destroy the clutch.
    I imagine once they change out the clutch and the problem still exists, they will then repair the real problem, and you will never know ....
    How many miles?
    Albuquerque, NM