Touring gear and evaporative cooling vests

Thread: Touring gear and evaporative cooling vests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Touring gear and evaporative cooling vests

Hey guys, just getting some extras like a fresh set of rain gear first of all how does that sizing work on the Nelson Rigg stuff? I am a Shrek, at 6 foot 265lbs and 53 inch chest. What size setup of theirs works for that?

Secondly, anyone try out those evaporative cooling vests? I am making the 900 mile run to Sturgis for opening week and was wondering how those functioned. I will be wearing the long haul gear until I get there, full face helmet and Klim Induction jacket, which breathes well but in that summer heat, wondering if those vests actually work. Any input is appreciated.

Cooling vest work great with a mesh jacket. Make sure you carry extra water to re-hydrate the vest as well as yourself.
    NMRed
    IBA 63255

Love my evaporative vest. Works well with both my mesh vest and my Aerostitch 1-piece.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

I just ordered the Fly Racing Street Cooling vest from Revzilla. Should be here by Tuesday. Good reviews.

fly_racing_street_cooling_vest_750x750.jpg
    Defiant77
    Tampa Bay

Cooling vests work well with mesh jackets but there is always a catch.
    They make you feel cool and wet, like wearing a very wet shirt for too long.
    When you get where you're going, your shirt will be wet. Better than plain sweaty, though.
    Water tends to drain and dry from shoulders first. I get about 2 hours before cooling effect is lost.
    They take about 5 minutes to absorb water, you can't just pour water on them and go.
    Soaking them in a truck-stop sink is a bit socially unusual. But, better than heat stroke.

I have found that the cooling vest works best for me with a regular textile riding jacket. With a mesh jacket the vest drys much quicker. I usually carry a dry shirt to change into. I also put my wallet in the glove box because my pants tend to get wet. I also wear a Mission Enduracool neck sleeve.

Have a great ride
    Az Wingrider

I will also second Az Wingrider, the water from the cooling vest always makes the top of my pants wet. No biggie going down the road, but it sucks when walking around. they should put a waterproof hem along the bottom edge to retain the moisture from wicking down out of the bottom of the vest.

I ended up using my mesh riding jacket with just a neck cooler with same water absorbing gel inside. Easier to get rewetted and doesn't make my clothes as damp feeling all the way to my butt.