F6B engine knocking noise when braking/pushing on suspension? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F6B engine knocking noise when braking/pushing on suspension?

I was wondering about the fans also!

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    Are the cooling fans on when this is happening?

There are no exposed pulleys/belts, etc on our bikes. Even the alternator is gear drive.

My fans came on for the first time (that I know of) this weekend in 100 degree stop and go traffic.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

There are no exposed pulleys/belts, etc on our bikes. Even the alternator is gear drive.
    No it does it when it's cold too.

This has to be the strangest thing I’ve seen yet concerning the F6B.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Very interesting. As I recall, there are no points on the engine where any rotating assembly extends outside the engine (i.e. no pulleys, harmonic balancers, etc). Just to be sure, I found this ebay listing that has nice photos of a GL1800 engine (which also happens to be from an F6b).

https://www.ebay.com/i/254364995116?...saAvNyEALw_wcB

The engine in these bikes is a stressed member (i.e. the frame bolts to it...it's structural). Has the bike has suffered an impact or wreck?

Very interesting. As I recall, there are no points on the engine where any rotating assembly extends outside the engine (i.e. no pulleys, harmonic balancers, etc). Just to be sure, I found this ebay listing that has nice photos of a GL1800 engine (which also happens to be from an F6b).

https://www.ebay.com/i/254364995116?...saAvNyEALw_wcB

The engine in these bikes is a stressed member (i.e. the frame bolts to it...it's structural). Has the bike has suffered an impact or wreck?
    As far as I know and can tell it's never been wrecked. I'm completely stumped.

Just a crazy idea: put the front tire up against a curb or something that won't move and bounce it without touching the brakes.

The reason I was asking about wrecks is that with an engine that's a stressed member, it's possible for a wreck to damage an engine mount and chattering noise when the frame/mount flex as you apply force by bouncing it. To be fair, I'm grasping at straws. Based on the video, though, it doesn't SOUND metallic.

I agree with SeaSteve and billsim...probably time to start removing tupperware to see if it goes away or at least to get a better look/listen at it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3wings View Post
    Just a crazy idea: put the front tire up against a curb or something that won't move and bounce it without touching the brakes.
    Good idea I'll try that

The reason I was asking about wrecks is that with an engine that's a stressed member, it's possible for a wreck to damage an engine mount and chattering noise when the frame/mount flex as you apply force by bouncing it. To be fair, I'm grasping at straws. Based on the video, though, it doesn't SOUND metallic.

I agree with SeaSteve and billsim...probably time to start removing tupperware to see if it goes away or at least to get a better look/listen at it.
    Yeah it's definitely strange. I'll see what I can do but I don't really have space to take it apart.