Tires a very old subject.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires a very old subject.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tires a very old subject.

I have used and loved the OEM Stones for a while, G704 and 709s. Always great prices esp if during the spring sale/rebate. But looking at the highly rated Michelin Commander 3s and I see it only comes in a 65 series for the rear rather than the OEM 60. That would make the Metz set the bike about a third of an inch taller than the OEM tire. Don't think that would be a problem and maybe not noticeable but offers a little more ground clearance.
    thinking about giving it a try. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I have used and loved the OEM Stones for a while, G704 and 709s. Always great prices esp if during the spring sale/rebate. But looking at the highly rated Michelin Commander 3s and I see it only comes in a 65 series for the rear rather than the OEM 60. That would make the Metz set the bike about a third of an inch taller than the OEM tire. Don't think that would be a problem and maybe not noticeable but offers a little more ground clearance.
    thinking about giving it a try. Thoughts?
    There was a post re rear tire size change a while back. If I recall, it was a 2018 GW owner wanting to use the same (2018 GW) tire on his F6B. The new bikes supposedly have a 200/55 R16 and the F6B has a 180/60 R16.
    He stated that it fit fine on the rim and no clearance issues. He seemed to like the wider look and performance, but I never heard more about it.
    Just my thoughts. Sorry to not answer your question exactly.

Not sure if the load rating for the Commander 3's would be up to the Bridgestone. The 704 & 709 was designed for the F6B where as the Commander was suited to lighter sport bikes. Worth asking around to be sure.

You had me at...
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    The 704 & 709 was designed for the F6B...
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Well after thinking for a short time about the 200 from the billsim link I have now decided to leave well enough alone.

Several years ago at a Valkyrie rally I met a guy riding a GL1800 with the Valkyrie's 180/70-16 rear tire. He liked the extra ground clearance, and the 70 series is much easier to mount than the 60 series.

I'm sure the Valkyrie tires have a load rating similar to the Wing. However, I remember looking at some 65 series tires online recently (forget which brand) and the load rating was significantly lower.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Several years ago at a Valkyrie rally I met a guy riding a GL1800 with the Valkyrie's 180/70-16 rear tire. He liked the extra ground clearance, and the 70 series is much easier to mount than the 60 series.

I'm sure the Valkyrie tires have a load rating similar to the Wing. However, I remember looking at some 65 series tires online recently (forget which brand) and the load rating was significantly lower.
    This is exactly what I have been doing for the last 10 years. 180/70R-16, be sure it's a radial. It does give more ground clearance, it fits perfectly and no change in handling. It also helps correct my speedo which was showing 65 when I was going 60, verified by both GPS and speed zone radar signs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    This is exactly what I have been doing for the last 10 years. 180/70R-16, be sure it's a radial. It does give more ground clearance, it fits perfectly and no change in handling. It also helps correct my speedo which was showing 65 when I was going 60, verified by both GPS and speed zone radar signs.
    Did you need to realign the headlights with a taller rear tire?

F6Dave, no I didn't, my headlights were adjusted a bit on the high side anyway so it evened out when the back went up that inch or so.

I have a 30" inseam and can put both feet flat on the ground with this tire. My boots have a tall sole on them, about 1 1/4" added to my leg length.

F6Bster, my 2015 speedo would show 64 and GPS and speed traps would show 60. With the 70 series tire it is corrected, slightly over corrected but I am OK with that.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 07-14-2020 at 04:52 PM.