Had a blast on the Dragon!!

Thread: Had a blast on the Dragon!!

Had a blast on the Dragon!!

Took a week and rode around NC and TN. I usually don't do the Dragon anymore been there, done that but my brother who just moved back from 10 years in AZ was with me. We arrived Sunday afternoon at around 5. We stayed at The Iron Horse MC resort. We set up camp and rode over to Deals Gap. There was absolutely no one there. Maybe 10 bikes in the parking lot. I don't often push the bike to MY limits anymore. At 62 I'm not as fearless as I used to be. I decided if there was no one in my way I would let loose. I told my brother I would wait for him at the end. I rode the whole 11 miles and was only slowed once by a truck who was pulling over to let me by before I caught him. I was grinding footrest on both sides and pushing her harder than I have in a few years. It was more than fun. I waited for my brother to arrive at the end and turned around and did it again. Pays not to go there when it's crowded.
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

I’m headed there in just a few minutes. Not sure about doing the Dragon again, but definitely looking forward to nice roads for a change. I’ll be in Maggie from Thursday through Sunday. Skyline Drive and the full ( as much as possible ) BRP first. Hoping for lighter traffic than normal. Hoping the heat keeps some away.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I did the dragon both ways yesterday around 8:30 am. Very nice but was intense. Rode up to Gatlinburg via the skyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I’m headed there in just a few minutes. Not sure about doing the Dragon again, but definitely looking forward to nice roads for a change. I’ll be in Maggie from Thursday through Sunday. Skyline Drive and the full ( as much as possible ) BRP first. Hoping for lighter traffic than normal. Hoping the heat keeps some away.
    Have fun, it was cool every morning when I was there. Low 70's. Warmed up during the day but nothing compared to Ocala Fl.
    Bill Parcells.

Quote Originally Posted by welder_48340 View Post
    I did the dragon both ways yesterday around 8:30 am. Very nice but was intense. Rode up to Gatlinburg via the skyway.
    We rode to Gatlinburg also. It was crowded and traffic sucked. Did visit a couple of breweries for a very little tasting!!
    Bill Parcells.

I’m not going to Gatlinburg. Just arrived in Front Royal for the night. The heat was almost unbearable. Hoping the mountains are cooler. My bike read 100 and 102 a couple times. A friend is moving to Lake Norman tomorrow. My going home plans just changed, but no rush anyway.

Some really nice roads south of Maggie. Plenty of car traffic around Gatlinburg. South side of the mountain is much better for motorcycles. IMG_6150.jpg

This kind of applies. I rode the Skyline Dr and part of the BRP today. I’m in Roanoke for the night. FYI - the North entrance of the BRP is close to 100 miles of loose gravel. Parts aren’t bad, but I almost lost it twice. The rest to Roanoke was great. I loved Skyline Dr. Started in the am, and with full trees throwing shade, it was a great ride. My bike is a filthy mess too.