Nightmare on the BRP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare on the BRP

Nightmare on the BRP

Had a great morning, but the afternoon, not so much. As soon as I hit NC, I got caught in some rains. More like heavy downpours and lightning. I was blinded by it all, but kept on. Bad idea. At mile marker 310, and I’ll never forget it, I pulled into an overlook. I couldn’t see 10’ in front of me, misjudged the edge of the pavement, and she tipped. I went flying, not hurt, the bike suffered scratches, not a disaster. I couldn’t lift her, but two guys got out and helped. Like a fool, I kept on, blind and I’m not kidding. To say I was soaked through everything, would be an understatement. I might invest in waterproof boots next time. That way I wouldn’t have had to dump water out of them. I thought this would be my last day on earth. One thing about the BRP...there’s no where to hide. I made it to Little Switzerland. Tomorrow will be a new day!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

The BRP can do that for sure. About 7 years ago a buddy and I were riding south from north of Roanoke in mid-October. Beautiful fall weather. Quick change down south. We planned to go all the way to Cherokee and meet some other Gold Wing guys. Rain. Dense fog/clouds. Visibility ZERO. We just wanted off, but exits few and far between. Made it to I-77 exit and grabbed a room at the Hampton Inn post-haste! So glad to be there. More rain coming, so we headed west to Arkansas and enjoyed several days of great fall riding. Arrived in Bartlesville, OK on a beautiful 80 evening. Woke up the next morning with snow coming down. We stayed an extra night. The weather cleared, but it was a cold ride on to Colorado. Thanks goodness for Gerbings!!!

I have rain gear but it started light then came down heavy. I really should have stopped at an overlook, but I was already soaked and would be sitting there in it anyway. Today will be different. I might even wear it when I start out instead of waiting. Hopefully learned a lesson. I was wearing a half helmet too when my full face was in a saddlebag. Just did everything wrong. It looks calm out there now, but more rain is forecast. I didn’t pick the best time of year, but this was my window. Thanks for your story. This is challenging when weather doesn’t cooperate.

Got caught on BRP in fog. Couldn’t see past the front tire. Friend on a 1500 Wing following with lower driving lights on. Could not see him. Didn’t dare to stop. Afraid if I did stop he would hit me or someone following us would. Had to look for the center line and the fog line to stay in our lane and on the road.��

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I have rain gear but it started light then came down heavy. I really should have stopped at an overlook, but I was already soaked and would be sitting there in it anyway. Today will be different. I might even wear it when I start out instead of waiting. Hopefully learned a lesson. I was wearing a half helmet too when my full face was in a saddlebag. Just did everything wrong. It looks calm out there now, but more rain is forecast. I didn’t pick the best time of year, but this was my window. Thanks for your story. This is challenging when weather doesn’t cooperate.
    Wayne - here is the trick....put the rain gear on first thing in the morning. Take a half hour to put it all on and use it all (top/bottom/boot covers etc) and that will be a guarantee it wont rain. Trust me on this.

Hope you have a safe day!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Wayne - here is the trick....put the rain gear on first thing in the morning. Take a half hour to put it all on and use it all (top/bottom/boot covers etc) and that will be a guarantee it wont rain. Trust me on this.
    That's a fact!
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Don’t you know...near the peak of the BRP, I did just that. Put it all on. I saw dark clouds and said oh no, not today. It never rained, was one of the best ride days. I’m in Maggie now. I took off the gloves and top, but rode the rest of the way with the bottoms. I know one thing, the rain gear I have will definitely keep me dry. I have from booties on up. Nothing was getting there.

yeah that's 100% true. I have tested many times. Once i was moving from the texas to california, sky was covered with black clouds and 90% chances of the rain as per the news i heard so all geared up for the rain and guess what it never rain, i spent 36 hours on the road. That was a hell of a ride i have had.

Glad you're ok wjduke.

I agree with ReserveBum (and others here). Wearing all the rain gear pre-emptively seems to all but guarantee no rain. Of course, then you are soaking wet not from rain, but from the sweat you've sealed in with you.