If You Bought an Extended Warranty...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If You Bought an Extended Warranty...

If You Bought an Extended Warranty...

If you bought an extended warranty, I have a question! Have you ever used it? And if so, did the save enough on repairs to offset the cost of the warranty?

I ask because my F6B is two weeks away from its third birthday, so I need to decide quickly if I'll get one or not. I've had extended warranties on 2 Valkyries and a Kawasaki Concours, but only used them once for a $20 part. And one of those Valkyries had over 100,000 miles when the warranty expired! So, I'm inclined not to get the warranty on one of the most reliable motorcycles ever built, but I'd like to hear about anyone's personal experience.

I bought one but never have used it. I wrench everything myself. I would consider it's value if something catastrophic happened to the engine.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I used mine one time for the crank sensor I think it was called.
    Other than the brake recall and sensor that is all that I have had happen so far.
    That's with 40K on the clock.

I figure if you never use it that is the best money ever spent. I have purchased 3 of them, so far never used one. My 2014 has close to 3 years left on it. I hope I lucky enough to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    I used mine one time for the crank sensor I think it was called.
    Other than the brake recall and sensor that is all that I have had happen so far.
    That's with 40K on the clock.
    That crankshaft position sensor is the only thing I wonder about, as I read about a failure now and then. But it isn't an expensive part and takes just a few hours to install, so at least it's not something really bad like a blown engine.

The only reason I buy these warranties is for those big 4 figure repairs. With my nearest Honda dealer over 30 miles away, I fix the little things myself even if they're covered. My 1998 Valkyrie had a rear wheel bearing fail at about 50,000 miles and would have been covered. Rather than trailer it to the dealer and wait for days I just replaced it myself. The bearing only cost $17 at the local NAPA and took me 2 hours to install.

I bought one for the peace of mind. Just like my prenup...

Quote Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
    I bought one for the peace of mind. Just like my prenup...
    I bought one for my 13. It expires in October and have never used it. I should have bought a prenup though!!!!!
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

I have less than a year remaining on my extended warranty. May of this year my rear end was leaking. Not bad. But with the rear end having know issues on all years of 1800s Wings I felt it a wise investment. Especially when I’m on the road and not near all my tools. As for the rear end I knew that Honda would most likely replace seal/ o-rings and that is what they did. What scares me the most would be if an electrical gremlin reared it’s head. As some one else mentioned, I had the clutch safety switch go bad. It was more cost effective for me to buy the $14.00 part and replace it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    I have less than a year remaining on my extended warranty. May of this year my rear end was leaking. Not bad. But with the rear end having know issues on all years of 1800s Wings I felt it a wise investment. Especially when I’m on the road and not near all my tools. As for the rear end I knew that Honda would most likely replace seal/ o-rings and that is what they did. What scares me the most would be if an electrical gremlin reared it’s head. As some one else mentioned, I had the clutch safety switch go bad. It was more cost effective for me to buy the $14.00 part and replace it myself.
    Our F6B's are a highly technical bike. From the Tupperware fasteners, and diagnosing and accessing internal parts of the sled; it's a challenge to take on repairs on your own. But it can be done. It's all dependent on how much do you love your F6B?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I purchased one on my 2013 F6B and have used it twice. Once for the fork seals. One of them leaked one year and mother honda repaired free of charge, and the amp went maybe the third year and mother honda replaced that also. The amp was a costly repair. If it had not been covered the whole system would have been scrapped for something else. she has been fine other than those two minor repairs. Like some one said earlier if I never used it it would be the most well spent money on the planet. I would not purchase two wheels with out one. Its risky even with the most reliable machine on the planet.