PNW Frost - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PNW Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    =)

Don't knock it till ya try it!! LOL!!!

It helps if you're a teen-ager stuck out in the middle of B-fug rural Iowa during it's dead, depressing winters,,,

Actually, it can be a lot of fun!

I'd attempt it again today (with the same equipment/same location) just to relive the past,,, if only for a moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but with an F6B???? on pavement???? Heck no!!!
    Ahhh yes, youth! We would use our feet as outriggers, get going about 30 on the packed snow, cut the bars and do 360's. Yes, on public roads. However, it was a small Texas town. I too would try again under the same circumstances. When I was a kid, everyone had a motorcycle. No closed campuses back then, and when we would all tear out for lunch, we'd leave a contrail of blue smoke from all the 2 strokes in the pack. Most times there would be maybe a hundred bikes parked at the curb at school, nobody had a license, and nobody cared.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Quick question for some of the grizzled vets around here (lookin' at you Sparky) who live in the Pacific North Wet.

This recent cold snap we have had has brought about a couple of days this week where my neighborhood has frosty roads, not sheets of ice but still has some slip to it, basically looks as if we got a light dusting of snow. I can do the twist with my ankles instead of my hips in riding boots for example. Once out of my hood which is about 3/10ths of a mile and 2 turns, the main roads are all clear due to a combo of deicer and steady traffic heating up the roads so the remaining 25 miles of commute is no big whoop, it's just those first 3-4/10ths of a mile.

Yesterday I chickened out and just took the car, today taking the car would have been a logistics issue with the wife so I creeped out of the neighborhood at ~10mph with my feet ready to (hopefully, although in reality probably not) catch me should anything go wonky. The bike seemed to perform fine, and never felt like it was going to get away from me, which brings me to my question (finally!)...

How big of an issue is the frost that I know I will deal with multiple times still this winter? I am quite certain that the bike tires have more grippy rubber than my boots, and also the bike is putting considerably more force to the ground than I do while moving my boot around. I know on actual ice the bike is going to slide, and if there is actual ice the bike will stay parked, but I don't know how concerned I should be with the frost (and while we are talking how bout light snow flurries?)
    *Don't tug on Superman's cape
    *Don't spit into the wind
    *Don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
    ... and -- REALLY? --
    *Don't take your new, luxury $20K 800+ lb touring bike on the road when there's ice or even the hint of frost -- unless it's the Zombie Apocalypse, you're out of ammo, and all other modes of transportation have been destroyed. (And even in that case, try to kill the next-door teenager and steal his 150 lb dirt bike for the icy ride before you chance your beloved F6B on it.)

Quote Originally Posted by austin_tech View Post
    *Don't tug on Superman's cape
    *Don't spit into the wind
    *Don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
    ... and -- REALLY? --
    *Don't take your new, luxury $20K 800+ lb touring bike on the road when there's ice or even the hint of frost -- unless it's the Zombie Apocalypse, you're out of ammo, and all other modes of transportation have been destroyed. (And even in that case, try to kill the next-door teenager and steal his 150 lb dirt bike for the icy ride before you chance your beloved F6B on it.)

WOW, I love the intellect written above. Very well said, and I am just shocked that it came from someone that resides in Texas.

Very good, Austin_Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    WOW, I love the intellect written above. Very well said, and I am just shocked that it came from someone that resides in Texas.

Very good, Austin_Tech.
    You're either a Jim Croce fan, or you're in the dark on that one and I look like a redneck. The logic still applies, though?

Quote Originally Posted by austin_tech View Post
    You're either a Jim Croce fan, or you're in the dark on that one and I look like a redneck. The logic still applies, though?
    Oh, I recognize the song, and was into Jim Croce back in the days. Never mistook you for a redneck.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Miles??? -------- SHOCKED???

Wouldn't be the first time!

Miles??? -------- SHOCKED???

Wouldn't be the first time!
    Anytime anyone from Texas writes something intelligent, it shocks me

So I have to give credit where credit is due, to austin_tech.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Aw Pshaw!!!

Something as simple as riding down the road shocks you, Sparky!!!

I have no doubt, there's NO ONE exactly like you Miles!!!!

Aw Pshaw!!!

Something as simple as riding down the road shocks you, Sparky!!!