Thinking about getting rid of my Sena 20S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting rid of my Sena 20S

Thinking about getting rid of my Sena 20S

Thinking about getting rid of my Sena 20S. Because riding a motorcycle is supposed to be enjoyable and therapeutic. It's not when someone is constantly calling you and detracting from the enjoyment of it.

Rant over.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

It has an off/on switch for when you want the solitude!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Thinking about getting rid of my Sena 20S. Because riding a motorcycle is supposed to be enjoyable and therapeutic. It's not when someone is constantly calling you and detracting from the enjoyment of it.

Rant over.

If it’s bothering you go to phone settings and in privacy (I think) and set your phone to go directly to voicemail while in motion.

You could try one of the hundreds of apps that prevents teen drivers from receiving smart phone calls or texts while in "car" mode.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I agree with willtill completely. Feeling like you have to be in constant contact with the world goes "against the grain" of motorcycle travel. When I'm on a trip and when I land in a hotel for the night, I will then turn on my phone and call my Wife letting her know where I am and what my itinerary might be for the next day. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the trip.

I get very few phone calls so it's really not an issue, but I do understand the desire to disconnect from the world. I really like my old Valkyrie Tourer for that reason. It has no sound system, just a great sounding engine. Much better than my droning F6B I might add! It doesn't even have a fuel gauge. It lets you ride and experience pure motorcycling. My old BMW airhead does that too, but I don't trust it enough for a long trip.

When a phone rings, there is always the option to not answer it. I rarely do.

I understand completely. The people I ride with on a regular basis all have some sort of radio-thing (helmet to helmet intercom, etc.) and I'm one of the lone hold outs. I ride for the joy of the road... the interaction with the machine and the road... and sneaking-in views of the world I'm riding through. The last thing I want during this R&R is "chatter." Hand signals worked well years before the advent of small helmet-based communication devices... sometimes "technology" takes away from an experience (IMHO).

Old Communications Tech for Motorcycles

Nearly 40 years ago I rode with a group of Goldwing riders from Denver. Some of these guys had been riding since the 40s, on Harleys, then BMWs, and finally that fancy new Honda Goldwing. I had the only non-Wing, the sport-tourer of the bunch, a 1981 Suzuki GS1100E with a Vetter fairing and German Krauser saddlebags. Everyone built their own custom touring bikes back then, adding a fairing and saddlebags and maybe a trunk from a wide variety of suppliers. Up until then Goldwings had only been sold as 'naked' bikes.

For sound Vetter made an accessory which fit right under the windshield that contained 2 speakers, and let you add the car radio of your choice. I think they called it Cycle Sound. If you wanted to talk with your group you had to get creative. Most of these guys took an automotive CB radio and mounted it on the handlebars or somewhere in the fairing. For audio some kind of marine grade speaker was mounted wherever it fit. The CB microphone usually had a bracket on the handlebars, and the rider would grab it and 'press to talk'. It all actually worked fairly well.

These guys scheduled several long rides around Colorado and the surrounding states every year. The most unique was their 'all night ride'. It was held on the weekend closest to the solstice, to take advantage of maximum daylight. They left Denver at 7 PM and had dinner in Fairplay, Colorado. Through the night they rode through some of central Colorado, usually getting to Pueblo for breakfast around daylight. I remember riding down a mountain pass in the middle of the night, when a sheriff's deputy heard some of the group talking on channel 19. He broke in to say 'you fellas sure look pretty riding down that pass'. You can't do that with a Sena.