Luck Finally Ran Out!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luck Finally Ran Out!!

Luck Finally Ran Out!!

I have been riding a bike on the road since 1975 and I finally went down. I tangled with a pallet on my B a couple of years ago and posted about it. Lots of bike damage but I kept it upright so no injuries. Not so lucky this time.

I was in rush hour traffic trying to get out of Ocala so I could spend the weekend at my condo in Daytona. I was in the left lane of two lanes headed east when all hell broke loose. Cars in front of me to my right were hitting each other and my attention went to them to make sure they weren't coming back to me. I turned my attention back to my lane and there was an SUV dead stopped. I was going about 35 I think. No time to do much but put her down and get off. I wasn't going to ride it into the rear of the SUV. The bike hit the SUV and I slide to the left of it without hitting it. Totally my vault, lack of attention for what was in front of me. I got a ticket. The driver of the SUV slammed on his brakes because the cars in the other accident were all over the place and he was trying to avoid them(no they never came into our lane). He apologized but I assured him he did nothing wrong.

Road rash hurts, never had any before, left forearm, right hand, left knee. Had my half helmet on. It took a shot to the right side with no injuries to my face or head.

Now what to do, Progressive does not send adjusters out due to Covid so I had to take pictures and send them in. Not sure how they will assess the damage. I hope they total it. 2013, 51K so if it reaches 50 to 75% they will/can total it according to the person handling the claim.

Not sure how I feel about it. Should I get another big bike? I am sure I will ride in some form but a 63 maybe I will scale back and give up the cross country, upstate NY trips and get something small to putt around on. Who knows at this point. I feel lucky but I sure hurt all over!!!

Left light and plastics damage.jpg Front End Damage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

Glad your still upright I wouldn't worry about the bike till after everything settles down.
    You have a lot of good riding years ahead of you, your still young.

Ditto on what JackB said!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Sorry for your luck. Hope you feel better soon.

Glad you made it through some what unscathed. If it is totaled now you can up year to a B with Cruise control. As a side note you are more likely to be involved in an accident by “putting around “. I was 61 when I crashed and totaled my first F6B in 2016. I only up yeared by 1 year because I was in love with the yellow 14 F6B. We have all made mistakes, some small, some large. You don’t gain wisdom with out setbacks. You’ve had a learning experience.

Glad to hear that you are only scuffed up and not broken. The bike is going to be a write off because the plastic alone is expensive and the resale is very low on the F6B.
    Doesn't take much to have it "totaled".
    Hope you fully recover and get the perfect replacement bike for your senior years.

Sorry to hear you (and the bike) are a bit beat up, but I'm glad to hear that you are okay and on the mend.

Also, big thanks for sharing your experience with all of us here, so we can listen and learn. We are better for it.

The results of the Adjuster's evaluation notwithstanding, the fact that you walked away with minor injuries -- even from 35 mph -- is a win IMO. Good luck with full recovery. The potential to be looking for a replacement woul have me checking out the new BMW R18 Classic (if I were going touring.)

BMW R18 Classic.jpg
    Last edited by OlyF6B; 12-07-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Good to hear you are okay.

As said gaining wisdom can be sometimes painful.
    Don’t worry about the bike just rest up and heal then you will be good to go in no time.

Glad to hear you are ok.

Please, if you could post as your claim moves along. I was rear ended and thrown off my B a little while back. I have Allstate as well and around the same mileage you have. I however do NOT want them to total my bike. Damage is mostly to the plastic and crash bars. I know it can add up but if I can steer repairs in order to keep it, that would be my preference. This bike and I have a relationship that I am not ready to let go.

Sorry to hijack your thread....

A pic of the young girl who tried to kill me. Phone still in-hand. Ride safe, everyone.
    Last edited by P.Sutton; 12-08-2020 at 04:25 PM.