Longer Antenna 13"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longer Antenna 13"

Longer Antenna 13"

I just received a longer antenna that I ordered off of ebay. It's 13", so it is about twice as tall. The best part is that it came with an adapter that screws right into our bikes. I thought I was going to have to do some rigging.

I haven't tested it in real life, just in the garage. I couldn't tell any difference, but I always have great reception in the garage.

I ordered it because lately I could only get 1 good quality station, and I live in town (Albuquerque). I removed my old antenna to check the thread size, and then reinstalled it and ordered this replacement. Well, next time I went out, all six of my presets worked pretty darn well (with the OEM antenna).

So we might want to remove and reinstall our antennas once in a while for better reception. If you want to try this $8 antenna that fits, here is one link (others sell the same thing). No affiliation, etc. BTW, it is pretty darn flexible (wimpy). Don't know if that is a good thing or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Black-Fl...72.m2749.l2649
    Albuquerque, NM

I'll order it. Just for the hell of it.

Thanks!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I got this one at Autozone for $20...https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...0898_1468392_0

It's 17" or so. (If I remember correctly, optimal length is 31".)

Could you post a picture of your setup? The one from Autozone doesn't seat all the way against the fender mount but it's OK if you don't look close. I live just on the edge of two larger cities so we are experienced with FM amps and antennas. The longer length helps bring in the stations.

I'm gonna try the one you got from EBay and thanks for the post.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I did the opposite, I don't listen to the radio so I ordered a 2 inch solid one(ebay) that had the adapter and it fits great. Makes it easier while putting the cover on.
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

Well, I got to try out the new antenna yesterday and did not notice any difference. I have a sub on my luggage rack. Maybe that is interfering with the reception. For $8, it fits and looks good. Let me know how it works out for you guys.

Here are some pics of the before, after and a close up.

100_5267.jpg

100_6518.jpg

100_6513.JPG
    Albuquerque, NM

Thanks for the pictures. It does look like it was made (OEM) for the bike. I'm getting one.

You can compare how well each antenna works by swapping WHEN the radio is on. There's no electrical risk to a receiver when you remove and install an antenna. I park my F6B in the garage with a metal roof and get bad reception. It gets better when I touch "either" antenna and better when I install the longer antenna, vs the shorter OEM.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Okay guys, I tried another antenna. This one actually makes a difference. It is an adjustable 12" - 19" antenna. I'm not sure if it was better in the 12" position, but is is definitely better in the 19" position. It is not flexible, and does not come with the needed 5mm adapter. I used the one from the first antenna.

That cone shaped part right above the ribbed area is adjustable too. It will slide up and down on the antenna. Is that for fine tuning?
    Anyway, here are some pics. Short, long and close up.

100_6519.jpg

100_6520.jpg

100_6521.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-...72.m2749.l2649
    Albuquerque, NM

Basic Antenna Theory...

A "perfect" whip (or dipole) antenna need to be 1/4 the wave length of the frequency you're receiving. 100Mhz is in the middle of the US FM frequency spectrum of 88Mhz to 108Mhz. Basically 31" is best length, so the closer you get to 31" the better. Obviously 31 is little short for the higher frequencies and a little long for the lower frequencies but it's a workable (cheap, simple) antenna for vehicles.

Quick note just to round this out; The ground of the car, truck, or bike is the other 1/4 length making a properly installed whip a 1/2 wave length antenna "system."

I'm guessing your latest EBay antenna allows you to get it out of the way but makes the antenna reception worse when you shorten it.
    Last edited by SeaSteve; 10-13-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Okay guys, I tried another antenna. This one actually makes a difference. It is an adjustable 12" - 19" antenna. I'm not sure if it was better in the 12" position, but is is definitely better in the 19" position. It is not flexible, and does not come with the needed 5mm adapter. I used the one from the first antenna.
    Thanks again for the photos. It looks pretty good to me.

Does it come apart (unscrew) somewhere along the shaft?

Hey guys,
    I got out this weekend (great weather) and got to try out the last antenna some more. It is much better than stock. With stock, I was getting 1 -2 of my 6 presets to come in clearly. With the extendable antenna in the up/19" position I was getting 5-6 of the 6 presets to come in clearly.

It is nice that it collapses, because since the antenna points back quite a bit, it is "in the way" when fully extended. So I keep it in the down position and raise it when I need "more power"! aurgh, aurgh, aurgh

With all this said, I'm sure that my stock antenna used to work better. Maybe I have a grounding problem or something ...
    Albuquerque, NM