Brake fluid flush
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake fluid flush

Brake fluid flush

I had the brake and clutch fluid flushed today for the first time. The 7 year old fluid was very dark and was told it should be done every 2 years. Before going for the service I removed a fork brace and a spacer that had disabled the antidive. So now back to stock and can not feel any difference in the ride.

What about feeling a difference in the brakes? 7 years is waaaaaay too long to wait for a brake fluid flush.

You should feel a difference if the anti-dive was restored to it's original function; hard braking should keep the front end of the bike from compressing the front forks. Are the front forks still behaving in the same manner?

And why did you remove it?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    What about feeling a difference in the brakes? 7 years is waaaaaay too long to wait for a brake fluid flush.

You should feel a difference if the anti-dive was restored to it's original function; hard braking should keep the front end of the bike from compressing the front forks. Are the front forks still behaving in the same manner?

And why did you remove it?
    The brakes did not feel bad or spongy prior to the flush, not a noticeable difference after. I do have progressive mono tube springs up front which makes a difference. I'll go ride some more and maybe get a bit more aggressive and report back if I feel anything different.

I was not sure if the antidive shim would affect the brake bleed process so I removed it. I removed the fork brace mainly just to see if it was noticeable. Both were on for almost 2 years.

Did you ever get the brake recall done? The dealership replaces all brake fluid during the procedure.

I did have the recall done about 2 years ago. In fact I mentioned that to the svc.tech. when talking about the fluid condition. I thought the recall involved only the rear brake fluid.

As I remember I was asked if I would like to have the front break system flushed at an additional cost. I declined as I had flushed the front and rear break system’s the prior summer along with the clutch. Some reported that as a courtesy some dealers would flush the front break system at no additional charge.

My (I don't even want to say "my" - I've disowned those asshats) dealership really screwed up my bike during that brake recall; I've written about it here in the past. Screwed it up to the point where the entire rear caliper had to be replaced. This is why (and another reason of many) why I do all of my maintenance myself.

You be well advised to check all of your bleed valves and brake fluid levels after you've had the stealership touch your bike. Don't even trust them for one New York minute...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I was lucky to have a dealer nearby with loads of Goldwing experience. The owner personally does trike conversions, and his shop performed more of the brake recalls than any dealer in the USA. At the time (4 years ago) they'd done over 1,400 of the recall jobs. By that time they knew all the shortcuts, and had mine out the door in about 2 hours. I had no problems whatsoever.

B4 and after of clutch fluid I changed in July. Brake fluid was just as bad, last changed in 2016 when recall was done.
    CDF3A402-4D47-4FA4-9B3E-F5901B2B5EAD.jpg10E532C3-39A0-4589-AAAB-9DCBC27EACC8.jpg