Brake fluid flush - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake fluid flush

[QUOTE=Radical Taz;184846]B4 and after of clutch fluid I changed in July. Brake fluid was just as bad, last changed in 2016 when recall was done.

Wow!!!! That was some nasty stuff!!!
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Yea it was bad.
    Question....so how does it get so dirty in a sealed system. There is no carbon due to combustion or clutch fibers or wear material.

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Taz View Post
    Question....so how does it get so dirty in a sealed system. There is no carbon due to combustion or clutch fibers or wear material.
    Basically...The world isn't perfect! All sealed systems are "open" a little because all matter has holes. The brake systems rubber lines and each connection point allows a tiny amount of air in and the air has a small amount of moisture in it. Over time enough moisture collects to break down the brake fluid and cause rust in the system. The break down process accelerates over time because more moisture in the fluid lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid, which causes more air/moisture in through the rubber lines, and so-on and so-on.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Thanks for the reply Steve, it’s good to learn something new each day.

What is mind blowing is the countless cars and trucks on the road today that have NEVER had a brake fluid flush. Mainly they'll get a bleed when getting new brakes installed, but never a complete flush. There's a lot of very nasty looking brake fluid out there....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    What is mind blowing is the countless cars and trucks on the road today that have NEVER had a brake fluid flush. Mainly they'll get a bleed when getting new brakes installed, but never a complete flush. There's a lot of very nasty looking brake fluid out there....
    I've often wondered about that myself. I know my VW GTI calls for a brake fluid flush every 3 years. It's a 2013 and I've had it done twice.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    True, but braking system failures are virtually unheard of, so those systems must be very tolerant of poor maintenance, or none at all. To some degree brake fluid isn't unlike motor oil and air filters, which can look ugly and still do a good job.