Best deal on tires - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best deal on tires

Does a lower profile tire with less air volume generate more heat?

Most heat is generated by the flexing of the tire carcass. A softer carcass, either by design or due to lower inflation, will create more heat (all else being equal). I didn't realize that TPMS gave you a temperature readout, but if you're using temperature to compare the Avons to the Bridgestones, I'd suggest the Bridgestones are a softer (more flexible) carcass.
    Last edited by DarkKnt; 03-09-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    Does a lower profile tire with less air volume generate more heat?

Most heat is generated by the flexing of the tire carcass. A softer carcass, either by design or due to lower inflation, will create more heat (all else being equal). I didn't realize that TPMS gave you a temperature readout, but if you're using temperature to compare the Avons to the Bridgestones, I'd suggest the Bridgestones are a softer (more flexible) carcass.
    I have the TireGard TPMS from Show Chrome. It shows both pressures and temperatures on the key fob. I've been surprised at how hot the rear tire runs. The front is always close to the ambient temp, while the rear often runs 25-30 degrees higher.

I'll add that I've been running TPMS on my F6B since I bought it. The temperatures are consistent regardless of tire brand.

I liked the TPMS so much that last year I got it for my 2 old Valkyries. I was surprised at how much cooler the Valk rear tire ran. That might explain why the Valk tires last longer than the F6B tires. My guess is that all the bodywork on the F6B inhibits airflow, and makes the rear tire run hotter. However I'm open to other theories.

And the pressure in that rear tire really climbs also. 6-8 PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I have the TireGard TPMS from Show Chrome. It shows both pressures and temperatures on the key fob. I've been surprised at how hot the rear tire runs. The front is always close to the ambient temp, while the rear often runs 25-30 degrees higher.
    ]
    Last edited by F6Bster; 03-10-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    Wingstuff has the 709 for $150 and 704 for $190 with free shipping and the Bridgestone rebate. Last year that was the going "low" price at most sites I looked at.
    Wingstuff sent me older (new) tires a long time ago. I was pretty PO'ed because I wanted "fresh rubber" not rubber that was already a few years old.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537