Time for a new CT.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new CT.

Time for a new CT.

My Pirelli Snow Control is about done. Can't tell how much mileage I have on it. I have two rims and go back and forth between the bike and car tire. My question is has anyone found a new CT they are happy with. I had a Michelin Alpin before this one and wish I could get another, sadly they are not available anymore. Anyway, I will only put a run-flat on. This will be my fourth CT on three bikes. Any suggestions?
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

I'm still running my Michelin Alpine. It will be a sad day when it wears out (if it ever wears out) for the reason you stated - not made anymore.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I run a Yokohama that is very close to the same diameter as the oem. Just a bit bigger which which brings the speedo into sink with the GPS. With #40 psi it handles very good.
    Soft side walls which give in corners and put a good patch of rubber on the road.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    I run a Yokohama that is very close to the same diameter as the oem. Just a bit bigger which which brings the speedo into sink with the GPS. With #40 psi it handles very good.
    Soft side walls which give in corners and put a good patch of rubber on the road.
    I assume your Yokohama is not a run flat?
    I run 26psi in my Michelin Alpine which is a run flat. Higher pressures don't seem to work well in my run flat car tire...

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

No, not a run flat. I only know what you guys say about them. They sound like good insurance against blowouts. I ran lower pressures in the Yokohama,but anything below 38psi was squishy. Even at 40psi on the side stand the side wall gives enough to put a 2" patch on the ground.
    Ive been on it now for 2 seasons and feel confident with it. Like any car tire it takes a bit more to get it started in turns but once there its planted.
    Will probably move to a motorhome now that the wife is retired.
    So the B will be up for sale in a few months.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    No, not a run flat. I only know what you guys say about them. They sound like good insurance against blowouts. I ran lower pressures in the Yokohama,but anything below 38psi was squishy. Even at 40psi on the side stand the side wall gives enough to put a 2" patch on the ground.
    Ive been on it now for 2 seasons and feel confident with it. Like any car tire it takes a bit more to get it started in turns but once there its planted.
    Will probably move to a motorhome now that the wife is retired.
    So the B will be up for sale in a few months.
    Thanks for the info. I have a MC tire mounted on the spare rim and will put it back on for now. I have had great luck with the CT's I have used but I'm finding it more difficult to get them mounted. Not sure what CT to try next. Good luck with the motorhome and enjoy the travels.
    Bill Parcells.

Quote Originally Posted by valkmc View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have a MC tire mounted on the spare rim and will put it back on for now. I have had great luck with the CT's I have used but I'm finding it more difficult to get them mounted. Not sure what CT to try next. Good luck with the motorhome and enjoy the travels.
    What are you finding difficult? To mount them yourself or finding a tire shop to do it?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    What are you finding difficult? To mount them yourself or finding a tire shop to do it?
    To find a shop to do it. I use to do it myself, not into that anymore. I use to have two shops that would do it, one closed down and the other won't do it anymore.
    Bill Parcells.

Quote Originally Posted by valkmc View Post
    To find a shop to do it. I use to do it myself, not into that anymore. I use to have two shops that would do it, one closed down and the other won't do it anymore.
    I just mounted a Pirelli Cinturato PI, which is a RF. My first darkside tire, have a BT-45 on the front (second one). 150 miles on today, as others have said after about 30 miles I did not notice any difference. Curves were fine after the first one or two. Maybe not quite as flickable, but no issues. I am fine with it. Ran it with 34psi to start with, next ride will reduce, likely end up at the 28psi others have seemed to end up at.

Finally got around to putting a new CT on the bike. I went with the Yokohama Avid Envigor Run Flat. I bought it on line for $140 shipped for free. I had put it off because I did not want to mount it myself. I found a place called All Cycle here in Ocala and they mounted it for $25. I couldn't believe it. Great guys and we had some nice conversation about pulling a trailer behind a bike.

I decided the Pirelli Snow Control II tire I had prior to this tire was no better handling and did not seem to last as long so I went back to a Run Flat summer tire.

Bike tire 1.jpg bike tire 2.jpg

It's strange that the 2nd picture is side ways in the post but when you open it up it is rotated to where it should be!
    Last edited by valkmc; 06-02-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    Bill Parcells.