Time for a new CT. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new CT.

Quote Originally Posted by valkmc View Post
    Finally got around to putting a new CT on the bike. I went with the Yokohama Avid Envigor Run Flat. I bought it on line for $140 shipped for free. I had put it off because I did not want to mount it myself. I found a place called All Cycle here in Ocala and they mounted it for $25. I couldn't believe it. Great guys and we had some nice conversation about pulling a trailer behind a bike.

I decided the Pirelli Snow Control II tire I had prior to this tire was no better handling and did not seem to last as long so I went back to a Run Flat summer tire.

Attachment 7971 Attachment 7972

It's strange that the 2nd picture is side ways in the post but when you open it up it is rotated to where it should be!
    That's a good looking tire. Look at all of that wonderful rubber!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I installed a 195/60R16 89V Kumho Ecsta PA31 three months and a few thousand miles ago and I'm really liking it so far. On my first morning riding to work with it I nearly forgot I'd went back to the darkside in the first 10 minutes of the ride. The handling is much closer to a bike tire than any CT I ran on my Valk in the 123,000 I put on her. I think it maybe just a tad taller than stock since it goes on the centerstand easier but the speedometer is still right with my GPS so it's not much taller.

Traction seems equal to the old Avon Chrome and I've noticed no difference in the rain. 195 60R16 89V Kumho Ecsta PA31.jpg195 60R16 89V Kumho Ecsta PA31 on bike.jpg
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    I installed a 195/60R16 89V Kumho Ecsta PA31 three months and a few thousand miles ago and I'm really liking it so far. On my first morning riding to work with it I nearly forgot I'd went back to the darkside in the first 10 minutes of the ride. The handling is much closer to a bike tire than any CT I ran on my Valk in the 123,000 I put on her. I think it maybe just a tad taller than stock since it goes on the centerstand easier but the speedometer is still right with my GPS so it's not much taller.

Traction seems equal to the old Avon Chrome and I've noticed no difference in the rain. 195 60R16 89V Kumho Ecsta PA31.jpg195 60R16 89V Kumho Ecsta PA31 on bike.jpg
    I owned a 98 Valk for 12 years and was just about to go over 100k when I sold it. It was my first try at the Darkside. I ran a Goodyear TT and when I think back to it it did not handle all that great compared to the Darkside tire I have had on my Wings.
    I rode about 100 miles between rain storms yesterday and today on the Yokohama and it compares favorably to all the CTs I have tried. It was very good in the rain yesterday! I will be leaving Ocala Fl sometime later this month to ride to upstate NY. I'm glad I got a new tire on and I also replaced the front tire with the OEM Bridgestone.
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

Quote Originally Posted by valkmc View Post
    I owned a 98 Valk for 12 years and was just about to go over 100k when I sold it. It was my first try at the Darkside. I ran a Goodyear TT and when I think back to it it did not handle all that great compared to the Darkside tire I have had on my Wings.
    I rode about 100 miles between rain storms yesterday and today on the Yokohama and it compares favorably to all the CTs I have tried. It was very good in the rain yesterday! I will be leaving Ocala Fl sometime later this month to ride to upstate NY. I'm glad I got a new tire on and I also replaced the front tire with the OEM Bridgestone.
    I ran a TT for quite a while on my Valk too and agree with you about the handling.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

What air pressure do you run in the Yokohama?
    Mine feels good at 40psi. I tried it down to 36 psi and it felt mushy.
    Haven't gone any higher yet.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    What air pressure do you run in the Yokohama?
    Mine feels good at 40psi. I tried it down to 36 psi and it felt mushy.
    Haven't gone any higher yet.
    Is yours a run-flat, I think they make both in the model I got. I have 30 psi in mine and it feels right. I did run my non-run flat tires at a higher psi.
    Bill Parcells.

Mine is not run flat. The sidewalls are nice and soft so it gives a good patch of rubber in corners.
    I guessing the run flat would be a harder tire.
    Mine is very close to the size of the MC tire. Maybe 3/4" taller.
    Made the speedo read the same as the GPS.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Mine is not run flat. The sidewalls are nice and soft so it gives a good patch of rubber in corners.
    You are correct.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I also agree, I switched to a run-flat because I travel around the country every summer on the bike. This year I will be returning to Upstate NY from Ocala Fl. Flat tires on a road trip are a "B". A few years ago I came out of work to get on my 12 Wing and had a flat. I was able to ride home on zero pressure. I like the security while on a trip. I thought the tire would be hot after 10 miles on zero pressure but it seemed normal. My tire had a valve stem failure. I installed a new metal one and the tire performed normally for many miles after.
    Bill Parcells.

bike tire 2.jpg I have about 700 miles on this tire now. I am very pleased. It handles great, it is good in the rain and it is rock solid from 0-100mph. I really liked my Michelin and so far this tire is just as good. I have tried other DS tires and this one is much better than all except the Michelin. Running 30PSI and it feels good. About to head for upstate NY from Ocala. Should have around 3k additional miles when I return. It is a Yokohama Avid Envigor Run Flat.
    Bill Parcells.