I think most of us has had one of those close calls, or even worse. I still remember one years ago on a lonely stretch of I-25 in southern Colorado. Back then we actually managed our forests and encouraged people to clear out dead timber in the fall. As I approached a truck towing a home made trailer heavily overloaded with firewood, I noticed the left wheel was wobbling. It appeared to be getting worse so I stayed back for a while to access the situation. I decided to make a quick pass, and as I did a few lug nuts were ejected, barely missing my bike. As I cleared the truck I saw the wheel fly across my lane in the rear view mirror. That was too close for comfort!

Of course, that could happen on any road. My most enjoyable rides have been on scenic, twisty 2 lane roads, like the Pacific Coast Highway or Beartooth Pass. But when I need to get somewhere fast it's hard to beat the Interstates out here in the west. Not only have 80 MPH speed limits become common, but they're safe with no intersections and no worry about approaching vehicles drifting into your lane.