Accessories that don't work out: - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Accessories that don't work out:

wingstuff rear speaker harness

I ordered the GL1800 rear speaker wiring harness. SKU#AO45180123
    The connector didn't mate to what was under the seat. I already had the speakers so I cannibalized the harness, (broke the connectors out of the plastic housing) and made my own connection.
    That was in May 2013.
    Now either my connections gave out or I just blew up the back set of speakers. I would like to find a harness that I knew actually fit. If I'm going to remove the seat, I would like to use real connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
    I ordered the GL1800 rear speaker wiring harness. SKU#AO45180123
    The connector didn't mate to what was under the seat. I already had the speakers so I cannibalized the harness, (broke the connectors out of the plastic housing) and made my own connection.
    That was in May 2013.
    Now either my connections gave out or I just blew up the back set of speakers. I would like to find a harness that I knew actually fit. If I'm going to remove the seat, I would like to use real connectors.
    Pretty unlikely, blowing up a set of speakers Did you solder the new connections or use connectors of some type? Sounds like time to check those connections.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
    ..... Anyone else tried accessories that did not work out as planned?
    Yeah, but I think it was my fault. I had a tank bag on my previous bike, a BMW R80 RT. I never drove without it, it was perfect for everything I need it for, it fit, it wasn't in the way, there were no restrictions in steering, etc., etc.
    So, when I got my new F6B (the fast Black one), first thing I wanted was a tank bag. I jumped at the first one that was supposed to fit both the GL1800 and the F6B. Sure, it fit, but it limited my turning, also, couldn't turn the handlebars wall the way to the left to lock the steering, and it was substantially smaller than what I had on me previous bike.
    On the other hand, the mount was well designed, looks and feels top shelf, the map case displays a fairly large map, and it came with a rain cover. Consider this before purchasing a tank bag.
    FYI, the one I purchased was the EC Honda GL1800 Tank Bag with Map Pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Pretty unlikely, blowing up a set of speakers Did you solder the new connections or use connectors of some type? Sounds like time to check those connections.
    I used the female ends of the purchased connector and removed them from the plastic (it wouldn't fit stock connector). Slid them into the existing male ends that were in the connector under the seat and insulated between the wires. They may have just come apart or they could be touching and shorting. That is why, If i'm going to take the seat off I'd like to have an actual mating connector (that fits!).
    I'll just start troubleshooting at the speaker and work back to that connection. I agree, blowing one speaker, maybe. Both at the same time... unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
    I used the female ends of the purchased connector and removed them from the plastic (it wouldn't fit stock connector). Slid them into the existing male ends that were in the connector under the seat and insulated between the wires. They may have just come apart or they could be touching and shorting. That is why, If i'm going to take the seat off I'd like to have an actual mating connector (that fits!).
    I'll just start troubleshooting at the speaker and work back to that connection. I agree, blowing one speaker, maybe. Both at the same time... unusual.
    I realize not everybody has soldering equipment but, in a situation like this, it's really hard to beat for a permanent, trouble-free connection.
    Ken (Hornblower)