Possible blow out with fuse A?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible blow out with fuse A?

Possible blow out with fuse A?

Hey Guys. I wonder if someone could help me here. I connected a tire inflator to my accessory port and boom. Now my radio and accessory port do not function at all and my clock doesn't keep time unless the bike is running. Everything else on the bike appears to be working fine. The only fuse I could see blown was the 3 amp next to the accessory port, which I have since replaced. Fuse A & B according to the service manual should only be serviced by the dealer. I attempted to remove A, but it's in there quite tight. I can't say for sure it's still fine, hadn't noticed it before. I was initially thinking I blew my radio amp, but then should that effect my clock, as well as my accessory port? Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    09 Red Vulcan 500 (sold)
    11 Black Vulcan 900 (sold)
    13 Black F6b (they'll never be another)

I've never needed to use the tire pump on my F6B, but I was concerned that if I did I'd surely blow the fuse on the 12 volt accessory circuit. So last year I made an adapter to power the pump directly from the battery, using the quick-connector for the battery maintainer. Your experience confirms the accessory circuit can't handle much of a load.
    Last edited by F6Dave; 04-12-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks Dave, It appears my mistake is of use to the forum. It least that much is good.
    09 Red Vulcan 500 (sold)

Ya, I was researching this a little myself. That upper left F6B accessory terminal on the fuse box is only rated for 5 amps. I too, have wired a pigtail directly to my battery for connectivity for my trickle charger and 12v tire inflators. I have the pigtail fused for 15 or 20 amps (can't recall at the moment).

I run 12v tire inflators at a minimum of 10 amps.

O.P. maybe give your bike a reset. Disconnect the battery leads for a bit and then reconnect them. That could chase those gremlins away that you are experiencing. I don't think blowing the accessory terminal is going to knock out your main A and B fuses...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

That’s my setup also Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I've never needed to use the tire pump on my F6B, but I was concerned that if I did I'd surely blow the fuse on the 12 volt accessory circuit. So last year I made an adapter to power the pump directly from the battery, using the quick-connector for the battery maintainer. Your experience confirms the accessory circuit can't handle much of a load.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    O.P. maybe give your bike a reset. Disconnect the battery leads for a bit and then reconnect them. That could chase those gremlins away that you are experiencing. I don't think blowing the accessory terminal is going to knock out your main A and B fuses...

I agree with the above. Give it a shot!
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I agree with the above. Give it a shot!
    Thanks for the idea. I gave it a shot and those gremlins you speak of, still refused to vacate the premises. I managed to remove the "A" fuse and it was still good. The bike was totally dead without it. I imagine the "B" fuse would be the same. The real mystery, if it is a blown radio amp, why would the clock not continue to keep time when the bike is not on? As well the accessory port doesn't function. Sounds like the sort of job you leave with a mechanic over the winter months.
    09 Red Vulcan 500 (sold)

There is a guy, "techdude" on another site that is an expert on the wing's electrical. Google, "techdude goldwing" to get started. Good luck!
    Albuquerque, NM

Please keep us posted. I'm interested in knowing where the problem was.

I don't know why it would have blown, but try fuse '29' (15a). It looks like it is for the radio. I think it is live voltage so could affect the clock?
    Albuquerque, NM