Possible blow out with fuse A? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible blow out with fuse A?

masonmike - I'm sorry to hear about the issue. Looking at the fuse block schematic, it looks like the Aux powerlet and the radio share the same fuse (#21). Have you checked that fuse? At 15amps, I'd suspect it would go before the big 100amp mains.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 6.48.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 6.52.34 PM.jpg

I'll look at the schematic in my service manual tomorrow. To be more correct...Fuse #21 will supply 12VDC to to the Accessory "Relay". When you turn the Key to ON or ACC the relay is closed allowing 12VDC to the radio, the ACC Terminals via fuse #6, AND anything else Honda considers accessory. (I'm not saying there is any other "accessory", I just don't know.)

The part in the OP's description that worries me is the clock not working. 12VDC must be available all the time to keep the clock working. The voltage won't come from the accessory relay and won't be switched on and off with the key.

I would start by checking each installed fuse in the Fuse box. sometimes fuses fail but you can't see it visually. If you don't have a cheap $10 multimeter, buy one at an Autoparts store.
    1. Turn the Key to ON.
    2. Set the multimeter to 12V or higher "DC" not AC. You should see a "V" on the dial somewhere with "DC" or straight lines and not a tilde "~" wavy line. Each meter is different.
    3. To test the multimeter, You should ALWAYS get 12VDC if you touch EITHER side of a good fuse with the RED lead and touch the bottom (-) terminal of the ACC Terminal with the Black lead.
    4. Touch both multimeter lead tip to the exposed metal on EACH side of EACH fuse. It doesn't matter which side is touched with which Red/Black lead.
    5. If you get NO reading the fuse is good...Or "shorted" and not dropping voltage. If it's open/blown you will see 12VDC (Red/Black correct) or -12VDC (Red/Black reversed). Again your just looking for any voltage reading.
    Last edited by SeaSteve; 04-21-2021 at 11:41 AM.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

SeaSteve - I agree with systematically testing all fuses as you've recommended.

You're absolutely correct regarding fuse 6 feeding that ACC relay, which then feeds ACC term via fuse 6. I suspected fuse 21, since OP also noted that he lost his audio system, and the ACC relay fed by fuse 21 feeds both. My copy of the manual is from a Full Wing, but I attached the page I think you're referring to below, sir.

Now that you mention that OP also lost his clock, and that it's constant (non-switched) 12v, I'm beginning to suspect fuse 22. According to the fuse map in my copy of the manual (2nd screen cap below) that is the constant 12v supply to the clock. I agree, though, that checking all fuses is a good next step.

Kind Regards.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 6.29.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 6.40.41 PM.jpg

Thanks for all your interest and the many suggestions guys. We have electrical engineers on this forum, good to know. Surprised by all the attention this thread was getting, I decided to take the suggestion and carefully double check the fuse box. By the way, the fuse box diagram sent does't resemble mine in the least. I have at least 8 empty spaces. That being said, when initially checking out the problem, I must have put the fuse for the clock back in the wrong spot. Behold!!! Now the clock works, as well as the radio! Yet, the radio has it's own separate fuse, which was perfectly fine. Another mystery? Problem solved! It was probably the reset by disconnecting the battery, that initially resolved the problem. Those damn gremlins! I'm sorry the solution wasn't more technical. Yes, I feel like an dummy, but a very happy dummy. Thanks again for all your interest.
    09 Red Vulcan 500 (sold)
    11 Black Vulcan 900 (sold)
    13 Black F6b (they'll never be another)

The radio may use a fuse for the radio and a separate one for memory, channel presets.
    Not sure some cars do. Just my 2cents.
    ITS ALL GOOD

masonmike - Glad to hear that your problem is resolved. Congrats!

Apologies for the somewhat cluttered fuse box diagram. Way back, back, back when I sourced my manual, the F6b ones were in short supply so I ended up with a manual for the full Gold. Wing circa 2010 if I recall correctly. While that means that it includes systems that the F6b does not (reverse, factory cruise, rear suspension adjustment, etc), it's been "close enough" for most things I've needed.

Thanks for keeping us updated. It's good to know that overloading the 12V power port (we used to call those lighter sockets) doesn't damage any expensive electrical components.

I think Honda's manuals covering the F6B were always in short supply. I was lucky enough to find one in 2014, and it even came with the fancy binder!

Here's the fuse box diagram for the F6B:

That IS FANCY!

Quote Originally Posted by masonmike View Post
    Thanks for all your interest and the many suggestions guys. We have electrical engineers on this forum, good to know. Surprised by all the attention this thread was getting, I decided to take the suggestion and carefully double check the fuse box. By the way, the fuse box diagram sent does't resemble mine in the least. I have at least 8 empty spaces. That being said, when initially checking out the problem, I must have put the fuse for the clock back in the wrong spot. Behold!!! Now the clock works, as well as the radio! Yet, the radio has it's own separate fuse, which was perfectly fine. Another mystery? Problem solved! It was probably the reset by disconnecting the battery, that initially resolved the problem. Those damn gremlins! I'm sorry the solution wasn't more technical. Yes, I feel like an dummy, but a very happy dummy. Thanks again for all your interest.
    Good job, and thanks for the follow up! Which fuse was that that controlled the clock? TIA
    Albuquerque, NM