Happened again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happened again

Happened again

I haven’t been here in a while, but...I’ve been hit for a third time. Rear ended last night when I stopped for a car at a yield sign and the girl behind me didn’t see it. This time, I was ok and so was the bike. We both went down, but these crash bars are superior. No damage to the bike besides a couple of minor scratches where she bumped me. I think she hit the black rear center piece. The ends popped out just under that rear lens. I snapped them back in and that was it. Very lucky this time. She was crying and upset. I didn’t even take her info. A state trooper stopped and made a report anyway. I don’t know what to say anymore. I have a big trip planned out west this summer and am still going, but for a second, laying on the road, thought that was done with. Second time on the same road too. First was 7 years ago. I’m either lucky or unlucky, not sure how to look at it. Can’t do anything if the person behind you isn’t looking.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Holy crap. Glad you're okay.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    Holy crap. Glad you're okay.
    Thanks. Maybe I’m taking the hits for everyone else!

wjduke, you have the right attitude, can't fix stupid.

Safe travels to you, Sir.

Three times is the charm they say. Hopefully this is the last of the rear end impacts you endure.

I watch the rear when stopped (or stopping) like a hawk when on my bike. Knocking on wood that my luck holds out. Yesterday though, a lady making a left turn inside of me decided she was going to try to plant her front bumper edge into my left leg. Luckily she stopped in time before impact.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Agree about trying to keep an eye out behind, willtill. Twice over the years, I've noticed that a car behind me didn't seem to be stopping in time, and managed to scramble out of the way (between cars in traffic) before the offending vehicle finally came to a stop occupying the spot I was previously in. I'm certainly NOT claiming to be skill on my part of course...like you said, I got lucky and noticed with enough time to do something.

wjduke - Hopefully things quiet down for you. In the meanwhile, might I recommend some lighting upgrades to improve visibility (see attached). Nah, who am I kidding, they still won't see us.

GL Lighting.jpeg

Wearing a white helmet helps A LOT for increased visibility. It's the most visible in the color spectrum.

Being that wjduke's F6B is white, you would think that it would help as well.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Yeah I switched to a white helmet on my black 13, also my eyes are always scanning the rear view mirrors!

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Wearing a white helmet helps A LOT for increased visibility. It's the most visible in the color spectrum.

Being that wjduke's F6B is white, you would think that it would help as well.
    Thanks you guys. I’m shopping for a new helmet now and I’m surely going with a light color, white or matte white like the bike. Like you said, will it be an aid for me, doubtful! My buddy told me tonight....you won’t die on a bike, you’ll drop a jar of mustard in the kitchen and that will do it. Had to laugh and he’s probably right.

A white helmet is also a bit cooler in hot weather. I have a white mesh jacket too. It's surprisingly comfortable in temps in the 90s.