Oil Change Question..NO It’s not Oil!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change Question..NO It’s not Oil!

Oil Change Question..NO It’s not Oil!

Hey all,
    New to the GW/F6B scene, just picked up a 13 Deluxe w/4600 miles. About to throw Amsoil in it, along with Amsoil in the FD.
    My question is, and more of an idea; I placed a small piece of plywood laying flat under the center stand, and set the bike on the stand, on the piece of plywood. This has angled the engine in a slight front downward angle. Would this help in draining the oil more proficiently and, possibly a tad quicker?
    i just want to drain as much out of it as possible along with any built up crud.

Any potential problems with doing this?

Thanks!

Obviously I’ll sit the bike on the stand w/o the plywood when I put the new oil in so it shows accurately on the dipstick.

Congrats on the new (to you) bike. They are a fantastic ride.

Others may disagree, but there really are no special gymnastics required. Drain, swap filters, refill with 4 qts and ride. If there are a few ounces left in there, or if you're an ounce or two high or low on the dipstick, no worries, right? The ole gal will never know the difference. She'll just be happy to be out riding, after averaging 575 miles a year all her life. Congrats again, sir.

Congrats on the New Girl in your life, like rdbonds stated, no worries, change it every ?0000 miles, and yes there are hundreds of opinions on that , this site will have you spend hours reading, they all have an opinion and like the armpits, oh well you figure it out, let the mods start$$$$$$$, have fun, stay safe.

Check the fluid level in the rear end but do not change it. It’s supposed to have some sort of special additive in it. If memory serves me you make the first change at 24,000 miles.

Hey, thanks for the responses!
    To update; successfully changed the oil/filter & FD. Pretty easy. I did use the plywood method, and let it drain for about 30 minutes (while I did the FD). After filling w/3.5 quarts, checking, running the bike, and filling again, by the time it was said & done, took EXACTLY 4 quarts to get to the top of the fill line. So the plywood in my estimation made up the .1 quarts of 3.9 quarts, according to the owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Check the fluid level in the rear end but do not change it. It’s supposed to have some sort of special additive in it. If memory serves me you make the first change at 24,000 miles.
    Are you sure? I did change it already. Should I talk to a Honda service manager about it, if they’d know anything?

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyQuest View Post
    Are you sure? I did change it already. Should I talk to a Honda service manager about it, if they’d know anything?
    First differential gear oil change is done at 20K. If you've already changed it, may as well not fret over it. Many of us had less than full differentials from the git-go anyway, since Honda shipped them out that way and dealers never check them during pre-delivery.

As Sorcerer alluded, there is supposed to be a special additive in the initial factory gear oil, I think it's just a heavier dose of molybdenum disulfide (moly).

Also concur with what rdbonds stated; as far as engine oil, she takes 4 quarts with a new oil filter. I just dump it in after draining out the old oil and R&R'ing the oil filter. Don't even really agonize over a precise measurement on the shtick. 4 quarts total does the trick.
    Last edited by willtill; 04-29-2021 at 09:32 PM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I was more worried about 9 year old oil in my final drive, shouldn’t there be a born on date as to oil degradation?

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyQuest View Post
    I was more worried about 9 year old oil in my final drive, shouldn’t there be a born on date as to oil degradation?
    Nine year old gear oil in that F6B differential with low miles is a unremarkable event.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537