Dealer story
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealer story

Dealer story

Took my bike in to a dealer kind of local to me. Wanted ALL the fluids changed and besides the oil and differential, I’m not going to tackle the rest. Wanted a state inspection and a new battery too. Bike is five years old. They had it a month. Ok, this time of year, not a big deal. The state had a breach with stickers too. He finally calls me. The bike is ready and they discounted the sticker. Bill was $816.00, plus I tipped the mechanics. I said ok, $15, not a major thing but I’ll take it. Picked the bike up mid day between bus runs. First line item, state inspection sticker $15. I kept quiet. Rode it to work, then after work. After I parked it, you know how you look back one last time....well, in my state the sticker goes on the number plate. It’s last years sticker. Not only did they charge me when they said they didn’t, they didn’t even do it. Oh yes, I called the next day. He was embarrassed, said bad business, all that. It’s done now, got it this past weekend. Here’s my real gripe...did they even do all that I wanted done? That’s the way I think, I’m sorry. Besides taking it to someone else and ask them to look at everything, I’m going to assume they did. Sorry this is long, but I had to share. And btw, I got hit the following week lol.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I just had my brake and clutch fluid changed on my 2015 Valkyire and the bill was about $85.
    New battery for my F6B was about $125.
    I think you paid too much.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Took my bike in to a dealer kind of local to me. Wanted ALL the fluids changed and besides the oil and differential, I’m not going to tackle the rest. Wanted a state inspection and a new battery too. Bike is five years old. They had it a month. Ok, this time of year, not a big deal. The state had a breach with stickers too. He finally calls me. The bike is ready and they discounted the sticker. Bill was $816.00, plus I tipped the mechanics. I said ok, $15, not a major thing but I’ll take it. Picked the bike up mid day between bus runs. First line item, state inspection sticker $15. I kept quiet. Rode it to work, then after work. After I parked it, you know how you look back one last time....well, in my state the sticker goes on the number plate. It’s last years sticker. Not only did they charge me when they said they didn’t, they didn’t even do it. Oh yes, I called the next day. He was embarrassed, said bad business, all that. It’s done now, got it this past weekend. Here’s my real gripe...did they even do all that I wanted done? That’s the way I think, I’m sorry. Besides taking it to someone else and ask them to look at everything, I’m going to assume they did. Sorry this is long, but I had to share. And btw, I got hit the following week lol.
    Never, ever trust a Stealership service department. ALWAYS do the maintenance yourself.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Seems like extremely high price to me. I put in the "Speed Bleeders", and brake fluid and clutch is easy and quick. And doesn't require an extra person. Coolant change is not hard either, but takes a bit longer. WJDuke, do you have a service manual? Just wondering. Give these fluid changes a try, next time they are due. It will save you plenty of $$, and the satisfaction of self maintanence is a great feeling. However, I don't have any idea of your age, or mechanical ability, so, I should just shut my mouth. Anyway, have a good day!

Here’s what they did...oil and filter change, rear diff fluid change, clutch fluid change, brake fluid change, anti freeze change, new battery, state inspection sticker, and supposedly an overall bike check over. I’m getting old and didn’t want to mess with most of that. I know how dealerships work. They have a labor rate for everything. They were true to the quote, I knew what it was going to cost. Oil and filter, and rear diff. will be done by me in the future. I actually already have it all. I figured to let them do it all. I paid with stimulus money, but that’s not the point. I was ok with the bill since I was being lazy. My problem now is hoping they did what I wanted, so, lesson learned I guess. It may be the last fluid change the bike sees anyway, besides the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Seems like extremely high price to me. I put in the "Speed Bleeders", and brake fluid and clutch is easy and quick. And doesn't require an extra person. Coolant change is not hard either, but takes a bit longer. WJDuke, do you have a service manual? Just wondering. Give these fluid changes a try, next time they are due. It will save you plenty of $$, and the satisfaction of self maintanence is a great feeling. However, I don't have any idea of your age, or mechanical ability, so, I should just shut my mouth. Anyway, have a good day!
    I’m 64, somewhat mechanically inclined, but no mechanic. I’m just at the point of letting someone else do the difficult stuff. I don’t have many tools, or even a good place to work on it. I’ve changed my own tires and always did the oil changes. I used to work in tire shops. I appreciate the advice!

At the best? 2 Hours work?
    Do yourself a favor and get Speed Bleeders
    And get a Break Bleeder Kit/Bottle
    Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12351774998...4AAOSwZltb~~51
    And a Spanner and a Oil filter wrench
    Save you heaps

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I’m 64, somewhat mechanically inclined, but no mechanic. I’m just at the point of letting someone else do the difficult stuff. I don’t have many tools, or even a good place to work on it. I’ve changed my own tires and always did the oil changes. I used to work in tire shops. I appreciate the advice!
    I feel the same. I turn 63 in a couple of days and have done a lot of maintenance myself. Everything from changing tires, brake and clutch fluid, coolant , brake pad, etc. I have started to pay for most of it now. Found a local shop I trust, Ducati guys and they do good work. They ain't cheap though.
    Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something!!!!
    Bill Parcells.

Well I have to admit Im about to turn 63 this year and my bike will never go into the Stealership again unless under grave conditions and only supervised repairs. I change my own brakes, oil, tires differential oil, and put on all of the added extras that I purchase. I had a terrible experience and it has to be supervised now.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder217 View Post
    Well I have to admit Im about to turn 63 this year and my bike will never go into the Stealership again unless under grave conditions and only supervised repairs. I change my own brakes, oil, tires differential oil, and put on all of the added extras that I purchase. I had a terrible experience and it has to be supervised now.
    All of these metric Stealerships up here are less than sincere when it comes to repairing/maintaining your motorcycle. Lying to your face about repairs, damaging your bike, etc. Every single time it used to be; when I would bring in my past bikes for a tire change or recall, or warranty work.

Ya, it sometimes sucks to have to wrench yourself. And at many of our ages, it's no fun getting down on all fours and crawling around under your bike at times. But it is necessity, for what rides on the bike is way too important to trust to a young ill trained "motorcycle technician" at a Stealership service department.

But you know what? When YOU do it, the work is done right; better than anyone else can do it, and money saved for other things.

What even burns me up more is the actual act of cheating and deceiving about a repair or maintenance job that was either never done, or done improperly. They may as well just be pick pocketing you.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537