Dealer story - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealer story

I'm sure the dealership charged you the allowable time for each "individual" service job, even though they where combined and done within the same hours. I didn't see Air Filter Change on the list which would make $816 more sensible.

It is true you can't be sure any one or all the service jobs where actually done. Unfortunately, the only way to be sure is to do it yourself.

I "usually" find doing my own maintenance is therapeutic. Right up until...something goes wrong. I will NEVER try to mount my own tires on rims again.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I feel bad for the guys who have dealers they can't/don't trust. I have just the opposite feeling about taking my bike in for service. It's a Mom & Pop Honda/Kaw dealership that's been around for many years. Mom is the service advisor and really knows her stuff, the head tech has been with them for at least a dozen years and the other techs are well seasoned too. If needed, they will come into the customer lounge and take me to the service area to explain/show me what's going on. At the age of 76 I still do my oil & filter changes, and I installed my driving lights but that's about it. The old knees & back don't allow for much crawling around on the concrete garage floor.

i wasn't being critical, when I suggested the cost savings of doing the work yourself, hopefully. I will soon be 67, and personally enjoy doing the work. I don't have a wife to bug me, so I spend plenty of time in my garage, or out riding. So, all good!

I found a private mechanic in town that works on mostly Goldwings, he changed all brake fluids the clutch fluid and installed a new air filter ( i supplied the air filter, he supplied the fluids).
    I took the bike over Tuesday morning and he called me Wednesday afternoon and said its ready. He inspected all the brake pads and cleaned the bugs and stuff out of my speakers and looked over everything, repaired a crack in a brake cover that must have been done by the tire installer. He charged me a whooping $90 dollars. Any one in Mid Michigan need a good mechinac pm me and I'll get you his info.

Quote Originally Posted by valkmc View Post
    I feel the same. I turn 63 in a couple of days and have done a lot of maintenance myself. Everything from changing tires, brake and clutch fluid, coolant , brake pad, etc. I have started to pay for most of it now. Found a local shop I trust, Ducati guys and they do good work. They ain't cheap though.
    Everyone is different "Luckily", I'm only commenting because I too am 64! Iv'e always worked on my bikes and my cars, but at 64 and retired, I'm restoring a 1974 Kawasaki Z900, and on the weekends volunteer at a WW2 Aviation museum working on P61 Black Widow.
    So to each their own!
    You all have fun!

I paid $350 for air filter change and crank sensor replace. I bought the new sensor thinking I would do it but I wasn't going to attempt the air filter.
    I think it was a fare price and got it back in 2 days. Suzuki dealer in Alliance Ohio.
    He showed me the old filter and we had a good laugh about the turds and nut shells.
    And he didn't have any left over parts like I would have.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    I paid $350 for air filter change and crank sensor replace. I bought the new sensor thinking I would do it but I wasn't going to attempt the air filter.
    I think it was a fare price and got it back in 2 days. Suzuki dealer in Alliance Ohio.
    He showed me the old filter and we had a good laugh about the turds and nut shells.
    And he didn't have any left over parts like I would have.
    If you are happy with that shop, I may give them a try.
    My local Honda dealership is quoting 3 month wait list for service.
    My tires aren't going to make it that long. Also need all fluids changed and probably a set of brakes.

Wjduke For you to put you mind at ease About if the dealer did what you paid for.
    Oil should smell rather clean and be light on the dip stick, the brake and clutch will be lighter threw sight glasses
    No help with coolant due to using aftermarket coolant.
    But you should make sure the levels are correct!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Its a small dealer. Have used them a few times with good results. Didn't notice a service manager. Easy to talk with the main mechanic.
    https://www.actionsportcycles.com
    ITS ALL GOOD

Thank You!