Helmet question/statement

Thread: Helmet question/statement

Helmet question/statement

I just purchased a Shoei Neotec II Splicer tc6. Love it so far, only have 60 miles riding time in it. My previous helmet was a Shoei RF1200. I always complained of a harmonic hum, and a long time ago posted about it here. The new Shoei does the same thing, slightly less, but it’s still there. Last time posting, no one else had this issue. Now, I wonder if it’s me, or what!? I’ll deal with it. Seems like there’s no other option with this bike exhaust.
    FYI, I purchased it from Chrome Burner in the Netherlands for $628. It’s $799 everywhere. I do a ton of You Tube viewing, and saw a reviewer that recommended them. I don’t care if it’s a leftover or not, it’s brand new and is the same as any other. it comes with Sena adaptability, but I installed a Cardo Packtalk Black with no real issue. Also, I thought this was huge...I ordered last Sunday night and rec’d it Wednesday, normal ground free shipping. Thought that was amazing.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I just switched from a Shoei Quest to the RF1200. The 1200 is quieter. I’m running a 14” Klok works. My wife keeps yelling at me to get hearing aids. With the ring in my ears there could very well be a hum but I doubt I would ever hear it.

I also have a Neotec II, and 5 other helmets. I wear ear plugs under my helmets, too. However, after experiencing hum or drone as some call it, I started experimenting with different ear plugs, from the cheapo disposables, to the type that you heat and mold to your ear. But, I found certain brands eliminated the drone, while others not so. The expensive ones were no better than the cheapos. And results varied from helmet to helmet. Everyones heads are slightly different, as are our ear canals. What worked for me may not work for you. Just try several different ear plugs, if you ride with them. No drone noise in my head. Makes the ride better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    I just switched from a Shoei Quest to the RF1200. The 1200 is quieter. I’m running a 14” Klok works. My wife keeps yelling at me to get hearing aids. With the ring in my ears there could very well be a hum but I doubt I would ever hear it.
    If the 1200 is quieter, I hate to think what the other is like!

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    I also have a Neotec II, and 5 other helmets. I wear ear plugs under my helmets, too. However, after experiencing hum or drone as some call it, I started experimenting with different ear plugs, from the cheapo disposables, to the type that you heat and mold to your ear. But, I found certain brands eliminated the drone, while others not so. The expensive ones were no better than the cheapos. And results varied from helmet to helmet. Everyones heads are slightly different, as are our ear canals. What worked for me may not work for you. Just try several different ear plugs, if you ride with them. No drone noise in my head. Makes the ride better.
    I don’t use ear plugs, that sounds like something to try. I don’t care for them, but if I can’t get used to the drone, it’s an option. Thanks.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Here is a link for you, it has lots of different ones and a fair price.

Make a note of the ones you like, and try them all, many options.

Foam Ear Plug Trial Pack: Just The Highest NRR! (32 Assorted Pairs)

https://www.earplugstore.com/
    Last edited by maxrider; 05-16-2021 at 10:51 AM.

I wear a half helmet. I always wear foam ear plugged to keep down the wind noise. I find with the foam I can still hear my radio pretty good rolling down the road set on about 15-20.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Many different foam plugs on the market. Therma-Soft 30, by Tasco, works best for me. They are round with flat ends. Many others are tapered. my ear canals must be wide, so the tapered ones just don't seal well on me. So, test several styles.