Tail of the Dragon ride suggestions

Thread: Tail of the Dragon ride suggestions

Tail of the Dragon ride suggestions

Myself and five others are riding from Philadelphia area to the Dragon next Sunday.
    We are taking Skyline Drive from Front Royal then picking up BRP the rest of the way.
    We are staying at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort Monday-Friday. Of course we will be riding the Dragon and will be taking a ride to Wheels through Time museum in Maggie Valley via Cherohala skyway.
    Like the title says I’m looking for suggestions about other rides we should take.
    Thanks in advance
    Rod

Sorry I’m from Wisconsin so I can’t help you much.
    There are a lot of great roads down there. I don’t think they have any straight roads.
    Just be careful on the Dragon lots of racers.
    We had just as much fun getting to US129 as riding it.

Foothills Parkway, Cherahola Skyway, Rt28, Rt226A off the BRP. Many nice roads down there. Like JackB said, hardly any straight roads. Skyline Drive was a nice one too. I did that ride last July. I enjoyed all other rides better than the dragon. It’s a bit over rated to me. My opinion!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Rod - You'll have a great time, no doubt. The Cherohala is certainly a must ride (mostly fast sweepers). It connects Tellico Plains, TN with Robbinsville, NC.

The entire loop around Santeetlah Lake is really nice (129 is on the NE side, Cherohala on the South). Joyce Kilmer/Santeetlah road is on the NW side of the lake, and it's an often overlooked gem. If you like tight, technical riding, it's heavenly, even if the pavement is not in perfect shape like the Dragon. There are some mid-corner heaves that you have to be careful on, else hard parts start touching down unexpectedly.

If you get time to venture down into North Georgia one of the days, US19 North from Dahlonega to Blairsville is really nice, as is GA Hwy 60 (starts just North of Dahlonega) up through Suches and to Morganton is a great ride (tight and technical).

I agree that getting is usually as much fun as the destination. Me and my gang love the curves and sweepers which is why we are so excited. We were supposed to go last year but Covid shut that down.
    Thanks for all the suggestions and I will post pics upon my return.
    Rod

One quick word of caution, if I may...

Cherohala Skyway has a few decreasing radius blind turns that are mixed in with the fast sweepers. They are marked with dashed lines leading in. Keep an eye out for those. Most curves are 45-60, and you are not expecting that one that tightens up and really is 20-25, it's a rude awakening.

Enjoy the ride. Looking forward to your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    One quick word of caution, if I may...

Cherohala Skyway has a few decreasing radius blind turns that are mixed in with the fast sweepers. They are marked with dashed lines leading in. Keep an eye out for those. Most curves are 45-60, and you are not expecting that one that tightens up and really is 20-25, it's a rude awakening.

Enjoy the ride. Looking forward to your photos.
    Second this. Sound advice.

I ride to the NC/TN mountain areas about twice a year from FL. Been on most known roads there. Dragon can be crowded and dangerous this time of year with all the newbies on the twisties on the weekends. Still an interesting place to experience. My favorite of all the great roads so far is the BRP from Asheville to Cherokee which is only a little over a 2hr ride with no sightsee stops... 4hr with all the 6,000 ft high views. Do not ride and view, view when stopped or you become part of the view. On that short stretch you go thru 16 tunnels in the high mountains. In the middle of that ride take 276 toward Brevard, a ranger station at the bottom into a great little mountain town. Pass 2 nice waterfalls on the extreme downhill curvy road, tho a good quality road.